a confusing problem with iwork 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by homeshire, Dec 9, 2007.

1. homeshire macrumors regular

i'm posting again since my first effort has not gotten a response. i will try to provide more detail.

yesterday, i launched pages 08, and it crashed on launch. then it crashed on launch a number of times in a row. out of curiosity, i tried keynote and numbers, and they too crashed on launch. i deleted the plists and tried again. made no difference.

i have two other accounts on the machine, root enabled long ago and rarely (almost never) used, and a non-admin account i created not that long ago for troubleshooting purposes. for fun, i tried iwork in both those accounts, and they launch and run with no problem. the original document i wanted to open launched in both accounts with no problem. so i guess the problem is unique to my main account.

for information purposes, one week ago, i was listening to a playlist in itunes when i experienced a sudden unexpected power outage. mac rebooted automatically, and a quick check of itunes seemed to show no issues, so i went merrily on my way. now it seems that possibly iwork was the corrupted casualty of that event.

some info from the crash log generated on launch =

Application Specific Information:
    *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: (index >= 0) && (index < (_itemArray ? CFArrayGetCount((CFArrayRef)_itemArray) : 0))'

Thread 0 Crashed:
    0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x965beee8 ___TERMINATING_DUE_TO_UNCAUGHT_EXCEPTION___ + 0
    1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x93f596a8 objc_exception_throw + 68
    2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x965bee4c +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] + 136
    3 com.apple.Foundation 0x94de1e64 -[NSAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethod:eek:bject:file:lineNumber:description:] + 116
    4 com.apple.AppKit 0x90db562c -[NSMenu itemAtIndex:] + 188
    5 com.apple.AppKit 0x910aba84 -[NSSpellChecker _initUI] + 256
    6 com.apple.AppKit 0x910ab968 -[NSSpellChecker spellingPanel] + 28
    7 com.apple.iWork.Pages 0x00004560 -[SLOnDemandSpelling pUpdateUI:] + 56
    8 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x965ccb50 -[NSSet makeObjectsPerformSelector:] + 200
    9 com.apple.AppKit 0x90d96054 -[NSIBObjectData nibInstantiateWithOwner:topLevelObjects:] + 1264
    10 com.apple.AppKit 0x90d8d658 loadNib + 224
    11 com.apple.AppKit 0x90d8cffc +[NSBundle(NSNibLoading) _loadNibFile:nameTable:withZone:eek:wnerBundle:] + 840
    12 com.apple.AppKit 0x90d8cbd8 +[NSBundle(NSNibLoading) loadNibNamed:eek:wner:] + 336
    13 com.apple.AppKit 0x90d8c8c0 NSApplicationMain + 332
    14 com.apple.iWork.Pages 0x00003f58 main + 236
    15 com.apple.iWork.Pages 0x00068768 _start + 756
    16 com.apple.iWork.Pages 0x0006846c start + 44

i see a couple plist files mentioned here that i cannot find in either system or user library, specifically com.apple.CoreFoundation and com.apple.Foundation, as well as the others mentioned.

can anyone tell me what's going on, and how i might resolve this issue?

thanks very much

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

AppKit and CoreFoundation are system file/folders in the system folder so if theres anything wrong with them id suggest you reinstall iwork '08 as it would be pretty hard to diagnose or manually install them

3. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for responding. i've already reinstalled. it did nothing to change the circumstances described above.

that's why i'm pretty sure that if something was corrupted, it was not within the iwork package, it just affects iwork for some reason.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im not sure then sorry. hopefully someone else will chip in if they know how to fix it otherwise you could ring apple care.

5. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

i could really use some suggestions from the community. i have 3 concerns --

that iwork is only the first of however many apps that have been corrupted in their operation
    that i am perpetuating the corruption in each iteration of time machine
    that time machine is itself corrupted, as it is taking an ungodly amount of time preparing a backup, which it has not always done

for these reasons, i would really like to solve this, if possible.

thanks

6. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Although I'm not sure if it will do anything to fix your problem, you could try repairing permissions if you haven't already. It can't hurt.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Try renaming your iTunes library and create a new blank iTunes library.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Have you checked your hard drive for errors? This is one thing you ought to do whenever the Mac is shut down in a power failure (or kernel panic).

Restart with the cmd-s keys held down, until you see a black screen with white characters. After the text stops scrolling, at the command prompt, type:

fsck -f [including the space, return]

If any repairs are reported, run fsck again until none are reported. Then, at the command prompt, type:

reboot [return]

9. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

well, okay i have run fsck, i had previously checked the disk in disk utility, and found no errors. i have also repaired permissions. and i have not advanced in any way.

i gotta say i don't know what renaming my itunes library would accomplish. but it's ironic that itunes was running with some old christmas favorites at the time of the outage. so maybe there's something to that. maybe i'll try it.

i am getting increasingly concerned. my boot times seem to have extended considerably, and as for my time machine backups, they now seem stuck in an endless loop of preparing to back up, but never doing it.

i guess it could be worse. if my previous time machine backups are still good, i have everything backed up. so i can reinstall without loss. but i'd rather not.

that brings me to the question, if i choose to do it, should i archive and install -- should i wipe clean and do a fresh, knowing i can migrate all my data from time machine after a fresh install. what are the community's recommendations?

thanks

one final question if i do a fresh install and want to zero the drive, how long would that take -- 160 gb hdd?

10. kbriggs macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I tried an archive and reinstall. Didn't work. On another forum thread, someone claimed to have done a clean install that worked. I hate to go to this extreme, but it may be required. I am hoping that someone will suggest a better solution.

11. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Since this problem is specific to a user, the obvious interim solution is to migrate to another user. How this could be happening is huge mystery to me, especially if you've already tried deleting the preference files. Do you think you got rid of all the plists?