A cool idea...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AENAON, Nov 7, 2009.

1. AENAON macrumors member

AENAON

Hi all! I just had a great idea for all developers out there.
    Have you been using dropbox? I do, I love it. Turns out, I use it a lot so that I can send files as link to friends. I'm an avid torrent user as well, and though about this:

What if there was an application that would be like transmission, but not focusing on downloading torrents, but making them. Imagine having a folder, like in dropbox, that whatever you through in, becomes a torrent. A torrent whose tracker is yourself, optimized for small amount of clients, and speedy updates. You through in a file, and its instantly a torrent, you right-click and its got a "copy this file's torrent" or something, so you can paste it in your chat.

That would be a great open source thing, there would practically be no size limits :) If it was a private company making it, they could offer their own tracker as a secondary one, and making themselves a client/seeder of your files for an amount of money, so that it could be used even offline. They could say, hey no space limit whatsoever! but only 1-2 clients connected at a time to their seeder.
    How cool would that be?
    Dropbox does something similar, but you have to go to their page, find the file and copy the url, plus its 2GBs or you have to pay.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You can already create torrents yourself, that's how they're made in the first place. The issue here is that torrent's power lies in multiple people already having the file to speed up transfers. What you want adds up to hosting a FTP server off your machine, and there's apps to do that already.

3. AENAON thread starter macrumors member

AENAON

Sure, but none does it easily. The easiest way you can do it now is droping the file on tranmission, making a new torrent, finding tracker that can use anonymous users only, which is usually slow updating, and then send the resulting torrent through ur IM client. I was thinking more like a one click thing.
    u drop something on a folder and then u just paste the .torrent or the url in the IM window.
    My experience with various file tranfer methods (my job is mass deployment), even on 1on1 scenarios is that the torrent protocol beats anything else by a large margin. Even the god of deployment, Ghost multicast, isnt nearly as fast, reliable and flexible as bitorrent