A couple JB question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by simple20, Oct 7, 2010.

1. simple20 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I'm not at all a tech savy guy anymore so I'm a bit confused by JB'ing. With the advent of 4.1 JB coming I was thinking about making the plunge and was hoping some pro's could help.

1.) The approved APP store programs are deemed safe by apple, meaning that you won't download a potential trojan or virus to your phone like is possible on the android, correct? So, if I jailbreak does that action alone open me up to potential threats? I have no issues paying for my apps, I would just like some customization in my phone such as different text/ring tones, or having my all texts have time stamps, or being able to have more than 12 items in a folder, etc. etc.

2.) Does JB'ing negatively affect general phone performance, such as battery or reception?

3.) Can I keep all my paid apps (apple app store) working on JB? I've bought some expensive apps that assist me in my work, and are just neat or useful. Will I lose my rights or access to those by JB'ing? Also, if I buy apps from the (apple) app store while JB, will I still have that app if I reverse the jailbraking by restoring the phone?

4.) Cydia is just an unauthorized app store right? If I buy any of those (cydia) apps, then I will not have them anymore if I restore to non-JB, right? If at a later time, I JB again, can I redownload them, like for example in the apple app store for free, or will I have to repurchase? And how does that work, do those (cydia) apps sync in my itunes?

5.) Jailbreaking is ALWAYS reversible right, either by upgrading the phone with the next update, or by restoring the phone (even as a not new phone), right?

Good to go, thanks guys. I know thats a lot so even if you only answer 1 or 2, I'd appreciate your time.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

1. Threats? hmmm can't think of any

2. battery depends on what you load. reception -no

3. doesn't affect apps from the app store in any way

4. if you buy a cydia app its associated with either your log on, IMEI or UUID. free apps and things you need to remember unless you use a back up program found in cydia.

5. completely reversible

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

1. JB alone doesnt open up your device to any threats but installing OpenSSH and leaving your stock password could expose you if you're using public wifi spots.
    2. Depending on what you install if you install packages that always run in the back or use up alot of system resources it could have an impact on your battery. It wont interfere with reception though.
    3. Yes, you will keep all your appstore apps when JB and even after if you decide to restore and go back to stock firmware.
    4. No, JB apps dont sync or sync on itunes but yes you can redownload them again on your device for free even after you restore or rejailbreak. You just use your google ID or facebook account to sign in and download them for free.
    5. Yes it is reversible at any time if you choose to update to official firmware or just restore thru itunes.

4. simple20 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! Appreciate the fast responses.

Quick question, from just a quick google, OpenSSH is like a peer sharing program correct? Something I'd install from cydia, not something that comes stock with a JB?

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

1. If there were problems with any non-Apple apps, there would be thread after thread warning others about those apps. There are a couple of apps that have threads like that. Nothing is too dire, but you need to be conscientious about what you install in case it does cause a rare problem.

2. Reception no. The only thing it can do is potentially bog down your phone if you have theme after theme installed on top of each other. Again, be conscientious about what you install and if it causes a problem, you can easily back it out. This is as opposed to installing 10 things at once and having no idea what is causing your problem.

3. You paid Apple apps are tied to your iTunes account. Jailbreaking your phone does not have any effect on this. There might be a rare occasion where some JB app causes problems, but since you were paying attention when you were installing JB apps, chances are you know what caused your problem. Do you notice a common theme to all these answers?

4. Like the iTunes store, you have an account that Cydia uses. Your ID is tied to your account and the apps follow you, not your phone. However, when the iPhone 4 came out, some Cydia apps were not compatible with the new hardware and users were required to pay an upgrade fee.

5. Yes

I hope this answers your questions.

However, I would add this caveat: All of your questions could have been answered with a simple Google or Mroogle search. I fear that Jailbreaking isn't a good fit for people who don't like to do research or who look for others for easy answers. I'm not saying you are like that and certainly don't mean any offense, but some people are.

Seriously, what would you do if your phone froze up or you were having other mission-critical problems? I don't mean to imply that you're not able to find things on your own, but please keep this in mind before you take the plunge.

Good Luck.

6. dgstan macrumors 6502a

OpenSSH allows you direct access to the iPhone's file system. By running it, you can use various GUIs to browse/copy/etc. the file system. I prefer WinSCP.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its something that you can install if you want to from cydia after you JB. Its not installed automaticly.
    Its not peer sharing, it will give you acess to your phones filesystem to edit stuff in and out.

8. simple20 thread starter macrumors regular

Point taken. And Valid.

thanks again for the help guys!