a couple Lion observations... disk utility and TechTool Pro 5

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lotones, Sep 24, 2011.

1. lotones macrumors regular

I have had the occasion to install Lion twice, due to the lucky misfortune of having my 2009 i7 inexplicably crash and die, only to be replaced by a 2011 i7 (yay Applecare!) that wasn't Lion preinstalled. Here's what I've noticed both times: after the upgrade to Lion, there were major glitches and bugs. Both times after repairing disk permissions and restarting, the major glitches and bugs were gone. I HIGHLY recommend running disk utility after upgrading to Lion.

Today as I was checking to see if TechTool Pro 5 had finally been upgraded to run on Lion (it hasn't) I came across this article - TechTool Pro Brings OS X Lion to a Crawl. After uninstalling TechTool Pro 5 Lion is super snappy. Applications are opening faster, gestures seem more responsive... This is more like what I thought a 64-bit OS would be like.

Of course ymmv. I just thought I'd throw that out there in case it might help someone else.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Um, you might consider TechTool Pro 6…I don't think they're gonna upgrade TTPro 5 to Lion since TTPro 6 works with it.

Rob

3. 50548 Guest

Yep; even though a few features of TTP5 STILL work under Lion, it's definitely NOT supported and NOT recommended for use under Apple's latest system version...either move to TTP 6 or try something else.

4. lotones thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I knew about the upgrade to version 6, but it doesn't seem worth another $40. TechTool Pro is convenient, but I have other apps that combined do most of the things TTP does. But it never occurred to me that just having TTP5 installed would degrade system performance. That's not tempting me to upgrade either.