a couple of 20" questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonnyr78, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jonnyr78 macrumors member

Hello!

I've asked this in another mac forum so apologies if anyone comes across this twice! Anyway, simple question...

In real world use is there any discernible difference between the quality of the 20" Cinema Display and the 24"? I know it's a lower resolution, but aside from that is it as good? Also is the current 20" an S-IPS panel?

Secondly is there is 'bugs' one should be aware of?

I'm only asking as I;m getting an external monitor for my Macbook Pro next Thursday (pay day!) and the 20" is the exact size I want (given that it has to fit into my wife's layout of the lounge, where I'll keep it for work and as a family 'spot').

I actually was considering a 20" iMac, but paying with one in the Apple store left me stunned at how bad the screen was, plus I;m just not a glossy fan. So, turning my MacBook Pro into a desktop is my preferred solution.

Thanks

Jonny

2. swedefish macrumors 6502

My 20" ACD is probably the most hassle-free and most pleasant Apple purchase I have ever made. The screen is solid and a true work of art compared to cheaper, plasticy alternatives from the major PC vendors. The screen renders colors beautifully and realistically, which I much prefer over more vivid, over-saturated glossy displays. I use the ACD for amateur photo work, productivity apps, and occasional video editing. For these purposes, I'd say that it's perfect. Supposedly, its refresh rate doesn't make it ideal for gaming, but that is of no concern to me. What else... oh, the screen has an anti-glare coating, which really helps reduce eye strain if you spend hours in front of it every day (which I do).

3. macgruder macrumors 6502

I guess you mean the 23"

They are both the same LG.Philips S-IPS panel (aside from the resolution of course).

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

The 20" was the nicest monitor I ever owned, until I upgraded to the 30". I imagine that the 23" is that much better than the 20" since the resolution is higher and is considered HD.

So, if you're in the market fora 20" CD, go for it. It may be more expensive than the competition, but it looks better, is hassle free, and has a higher resale value if you choose to sell it on eBay and upgrade to a bigger size later.

Case in point: I got the 20" CD around the same time a friend of mine at work bought the Dell equivelant. It was $600 and I kept mine for over a year before selling it on eBay for $400. The going rate on his monitor was about $200. That says a lot for Apple hardware.

http://web.mac.com/ryemac3/RyeMAC3/Welcome/Entries/2005/12/25_Apple_20”_Cinema_Display.html
    http://web.mac.com/ryemac3/RyeMAC3/Welcome/Entries/2007/2/20_30”_Digital_Nirvana.html