A couple of how-to questions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ledzepfan1981, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

I have a couple of questions for those who already have the watch.

1. As stupid as it sounds, how do you switch off the watch? I press and hold the button, then I've tried tapping the power off option, but it doesn't switch off. I've even force pressed the option, but that didn't work. I had to leave it switched on over night.

2. I've got my iPhone on silent. Now that I have my Watch, it's now stopped vibrating to alert me and nothing comes up on my Watch. The only way I know that I have an alert is by looking at the lock screen on my iPhone.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you in advance.

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

1. Long press on side button.

3. ledzepfan1981 thread starter macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

I've done that then pressed the power off option and nothing happens.

4. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Strange. I would believe you need only to do the long press (10 seconds) and the Watch will shut itself off. No need for additional tap or press.

Edit: Looks like I'm wrong. From iMore:

6. ledzepfan1981 thread starter macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

Done that, and the only option I can get to work on the shutdown screen is Cancel. Can't get Power Off and Power Reserve to work!

7. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

On mine on the Power Off, etc. screen, you swipe the option to the right. Slide the Power Off button all the way to the right.

8. wepiii macrumors 6502

Also, for your other question, if your phone screen is on, you won't get a notification on your watch. I was getting frustrated with the same thing... Then I realized it's actually a really nice feature. You don't need your phone and watch notifying you of things while you are actively using your phone.

9. ledzepfan1981 thread starter macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

Thank you so, so much, stupid me was just pressing it, I see now that you have to swipe it lock the iPhones lock screen!

Yeah that's one thing that annoys me about my Pebble watches. However, I have my iPhone on standby next to me, so that's not the issue. Thank you though.

10. VinylStar macrumors newbie

Is your phone on Do Not Disturb? If so, your watch may be mirroring the Do Not Disturb which means it wont buzz or make noises. If you regularly have your phone on DND, and still want you watch to vibrate/make noises. Go into the Apple Watch app and remove the 'Mirroring' option under Do Not Disturb settings area. This will mean your phone may not make noises or vibrate, but you watch still will. I find the best combo is to have your watch permanently on mute, and phone on whichever you find best. Note that if the phone is on DND and your watch isnt, phone calls still wont come through at they go straight to message bank.

11. ledzepfan1981, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

ledzepfan1981 thread starter macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

Neither Watch or iPhone is on DND. I have both on mute. Just checked my iPhone and I had 5 notifications. None of which I was alerted to by my Watch or iPhone!

12. VinylStar macrumors newbie

I'm as stumped as you then. Good luck :D

13. ledzepfan1981 thread starter macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

14. ledzepfan1981 thread starter macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

One thing I have noticed is that when I go to Settings on my Watch and then Bluetooth, it is stuck on searching.

15. Seannyb, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

Seannyb macrumors member

Seannyb

It is searching for additional bluetooth devices...(Headphones, speakers, etc.) Your phone will not show up there. If you go to the Watch app and click on "Apple Watch" it will show that your phone is paired to your watch.

As for notifications, all I can say is that it works great for me. I have everything set to just "mirror my iPhone" and it seems to work great. Maybe a quick reset might help? Hold both the crown and the side button in until you see the :apple: logo

For example: If your iPhone is set to silent for a certain notification, the watch won't make a noise either when getting that same notification. Example: My instagram notifies my phone for certain things (likes, friend requests, comments). On my phone they just show up on my screen without making a noise or vibration, the exact same thing happens on my watch when my phone is locked. I don't notice the notification until I look at my watch and see the "red dot" at the top.

This is the way I like it for social media apps. However, phone calls, texts, and more important stuff make noise on my phone and do the same thing on my watch when my phone is locked. Hope this helps...

16. ledzepfan1981 thread starter macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

Just done a hard reset, so I'll see if that works. One thing I have noticed is that my iPhone will vibrate (I have it on silent) when the Watch is off, but as soon as the Watch is on, the iPhone stops vibrating and the alert just appears on the lock screen and the watch doesn't alert me.

17. ledzepfan1981 thread starter macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

Hard reset didn't work. Some alerts are getting through and I realised that the ones getting through are from the default apps that are already on the Watch. The ones that aren't, are the third-party apps that I have downloaded.