A couple of Mac issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, May 21, 2008.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Problem 1. I run Onyx, and when the program begins to run, it tells me that my disk needs to be repaired. When I reboot with the install disc, and repair the volume, it says no repairs were necessary. But when I restart again and run Onyx, it once again tells me that it needs to be repaired.

Problem 2. Ive gone into Disk Utilities three times now to verify the disk, and all three times my iMac would freeze and I would have to reset the computer by holding down the power button.

Now I have repaired the disk in the past and never had an issue, but I dont know whats going on now. I havent really seen any real issues with my iMac until the past couple of weeks. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Apparently you have some disk corruption that Disk Utility cant detect or fix.

I would do this:

1. Boot into single user and run these commands followed by the return key:

/sbin/fsck -fy

If it detects problems, run the command again and again until it comes up clean.

After that run this command:
    reboot

If that doesn't fix your issue, you will need a 3rd party Utility such as Alsoft's DiskWarrior. This is an excellent utility and can repair a lot more issues on your disk than can Disk Utility. Chances are, you have a problem with the Volume Information Block on your disk.