A couple of MBP questions before buying

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hawt, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Hawt macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

This site is great, I just went through the buyers and size guides which were very informative.

I have never used a Mac before and I am thinking about making the jump and getting a MBP for my birthday; but I still have a couple of questions that are unanswered that I hope you guys can help me with.

My first question is about the LED screen. I heard about the LED Screens but when I went looking on the Apple Store website I didn't find any mention of it.

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/W...co=69EF97D7&wosid=WVUsQDl3dHPt25FU4602kCOe6kq

Is the MBP that I linked above the one with the LED Screen? I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the page and I would think that would be a selling point they mention.

My second question is in relation to when I should buy. The Buyers Guide says now is a good time to buy since the updates happen about every 6 months of so.

But, with Leopard coming out in October (4 months away) and reading about the yellowish tint and the bad headphone jack, would it be wiser to wait a bit to purchase one then? Do you think another set of updated computers will be released alongside Leopard?

Also, will I have to pay to upgrade for Leopard when it comes out if I purchase now?

This is kind of long, so thanks in advance for taking the time to read through and answer my mac newbie questions.

PS - On a side note, this is my first laptop and I have read a lot about how hot notebooks can get, can anyone recommend a good cooler?

Thanks alot,
    -Tim

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm 99% sure that if you buy now, you will have to pay for Leopard, and new rev's MAY come out for the launch, who knows? Best rule of thumb is buy if you need it, wait if you can. Waiting for 4 months only to get a speed bump would kinda suck though no?

As for the little issues popping up, like the tint/ headphone jack you mentioned, there are ALWAYS little issues with hardware, especially new stuff, that shouldn't scare you away from the purchase. Forums are a place for help, but also a place to bitch about things that go wrong and more people voice their problems than their compliments when it comes to software/hardware.
    Good luck making your choice! (hope this helped in some small way!)

3. msharpmu macrumors regular

That is weird. I could not find any concrete info on the LED screen as well. I know that it only comes on the 15 in though.

Secondly, you will have to buy Leopard in 3 to 4 months.

4. anolin macrumors newbie

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

third 'features' paragraph...

"Display’s the thing

A great video processor powers a great display. The new MacBook Pro is available in 15-inch models with a new mercury-free, power-efficient LED-backlit display and a 17-inch model with an optional 1920-by-1200 pixel display."

5. Hawt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses guys they are extremely helpful.

I can't believe I glossed over the LED screen on that page, I have read it before.

How much does it usually cost to upgrade on Macs?

I know that they go in numbered increments (10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 is coming now) Is it like Windows where you drop $160 to upgrade, where 10.4 would be XP and 10.5 would be Vista? I remember randomly hearing someone I work with mention only paying like $59 or something to upgrade Mac OS?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Usually $129. Less if you are in higher edu like $70 or $60 or something like that. $199 for a 5 pack.

7. epardilla macrumors newbie

I got mine yesterday, I love it so much except for the 2 dead pixels that I found on the screen. :mad: Buy from the Apple store in your city/town because I bought mine online they said that I cannot take it into the apple store to exchange---I have to fedex this thing back to them to hopefully get one that isnt defective. I do graphics so 1 to 2 dead pixels is enough to drive me nuts! But yes I still have the love for this.

8. Hawt thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick question. If I buy from the Apple Store in my town, will I still be able to get the Student Discount that is available online?

Buying from the store never really occurred to me, I just assumed it would cost more like retail usually does.

9. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

Yup, that should be fine.

The Apple stores are able to give you the same education discount as you find online :) Just make sure you have student ID on you.

10. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

When I asked about buying my iMac, only the standard education discount was available in store, if you qualify for the HE discount you can only get it online or by phone.

11. wgkealey macrumors member

What is the price difference?

12. newmacguy88 macrumors member

I remember that one of the employees told me that there was one thing that the student discount does NOT apply to instore. I'm not 100% sure what it is; it is either the mouse or preinstalled applications...

13. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Considerable. The HE discount got me about double the discount I would have got with the normal discount.