A couple of MBP4,1 question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMerlin, Apr 17, 2009.

1. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Hello all, of course I did a search and spent a few hours looking for my answers but didnt find what I was looking for.

1. This might seem silly to ask but Ill ask it anyway, does anyone know if you can put the new MBP trackpad into the old MBP body? I absolutely love my Mac. I love the silver keys, I love the body style but I like the new trackpad so much more. Every time I go to the Apple store I just like playing with it until my fingers hurt (pun intended!).
    The dimensions look the same, but Im sure there is much more to it then that.

2. Ive read multiple threads of my MBP being able to run 6gb of Ram. However, I already have Vista installed on a boot camp partition using a certain amount of RAM. If I throw a new stick in there, wont that mess up the memory addressing? I keep seeing people with problems after they upgrade the RAM and I think this is why.

3. I have my main partition for Mac, then a 32 gb part for Vista. If I put a new HDD in my machine and use Winclone for Vista and CCC or something for my Mac, will I be able to resize the Vista partition or would I have to erase it and start over to increase that size?

4. I want to be able to have my iTunes mini player in every Space. I downloaded afloat and then found out it doesnt work on iTunes. Any other solutions for this?

By the way, I love these forums. I always find what I need and if not, someone out there knows what I need to know.

So... sorry for so many questions, I appreciate everyones feedback.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. iMerlin thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Thanks a bunch spinnerlys!
    I wasnt sure if Winclone cloned the partition of just the info on the drive. That makes sense though.

I knew I saw that option for spaces and Isimply couldnt remember where.
    Thanks again!!

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Just saying: IF you have the latest classic MBP with the led screen and multi-touch trackpad, you can add the function to it for complete multi-touch. There was a thread on the MBP forum about it. Might lighten your MBP pain.

5. iMerlin thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Peter, I dont want to sound like a total noob but... are you saying the new MBPs trackpad has more multi-touch capabilities then mine? I didnt realize that. The part I love about the new trackpad is that is has no button (well, other than the whole thing being the button.) I never knew it had more functionality. Ill have to read up on that. Thanks for the tip.

6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

It's the same "hardware". It's only the form and the button that differ. Apple didn't update driver for the old MBP when the new cames out so you do not have access to the 4 fingers gesture. It's totally possible to do it with a simple painless hack.

7. iMerlin thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Aint nothing wrong with a little hack, Im down!

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Vista should be fine with the 6gb upgrade as long as you have 64-bit Vista, but read the 6gb/8gb thread to make sure there are no Vista-specific problems. (to clarify, changing the amount of memory is OK, but I don't know if 6gb specifically will work since it is kind of unsupported by the hardware)