A couple of MDD Problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Aug 8, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I picked up a cheap MDD locally, and am having a few problems with it that I'm hoping the folks here might be able to guide me on:

This is an MDD 2003-the one released after the PM G5-with a single 1.25ghz.

1. The startup chime from the internal speaker-as best as I can describe it-sounds like a fart. It sounds fine via external speakers, and all other sounds that I play through the internal speakers sound fine(although I haven't tried music or anything else that would really tax it).

2. Probably more concerning(rather than annoying)-when I shut down the computer, it will seem "dead" until I unplug it and plug it back in. It will then work immediately. I've tried a PMU and PRAM reset, and it's still doing the same thing.

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

The internal speaker might be dirty or the foam has rotted away. Second, sounds like your PSU has some faulty caps. There is a ATX conversion cable forsale on-line.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Have you tried removing the PRAM battery and then starting it without it? If it fires up every time it just needs a new battery. You will not hold clock info without a working battery though.

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

And if it is constantly connected to the Internet, its not a problem since you can have it sync with an internet time server.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Although it can sometimes be able problem if connecting wirelessly and the security certificate for your keychain isn't valid in 2001.

6. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Odd. My TiBook connects fine and syncs everytime. Maybe if you have done the 10.4.11 update...

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It doesn't happen on every computer, only those that have a keychain lock that isn't valid in the year 2001. The version of Mac OS X doesn't matter.

8. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Okay, thanks for the info.