A couple of newbie questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by B-town, Apr 3, 2009.

1. B-town macrumors newbie

Hi, first post here. I just bought a new iMac (and iPod) a week ago and so far I'm loving it. So far, there are 2 things I can't figure out.

1. when I connect my 4 GB memory card (jump drive, whatever you want to call it) to the Mac I can copy files onto it no problem. But when I delete those files from my memory card it still shows up as being full. Even though when I look at the memory card through the Finder nothing shows up. Yet when I click on "Get Info" it shows that it's at capacity. When I take this same memory card to my old computer (a PC that I'd dying to throw in the garbage) a two folders show up. After I format the memory card on my old PC, it's clear and I can load it up with songs again. How do you format a memory card on a Mac?

2. Garage Band. I play guitar and bought the cable to connect my guitar to the Mac. I want to be able to play freely without having to record all the time. I understand that I can select "Magic Garage Band" and then jam freely with the fake band but can I not create a new project, select the drum beat and bass line I want, then freely rock out? If so I can't figure it out.

Thank you in advance.

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Disk Utility

Appplications Folder-utilities Folder-Disk utility will allow you to format the thumb drive.

I'm not sure about Garage Band, I have never used it.

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

1. Empty the trash while your drive is connected

2. no clue

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

For Garageband you have to create a new project. Naturally you don't have to save it.

But for jamming I'd suggest you make a new project then setup a drum loop and hit play (not necessarily record). It's a minor nuisance I suppose if you don't want to save the files, but its not that big of deal. I personally find the Electric guitar instruments to be a ton of fun.

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

just to check... did you actually empty the trash after you moved the files there? Space on the drive isn't cleared up until the trash is emptied.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. You need to empty trash. It's not windows with its inconsistent implementation (from harddrive delete puts things in trash, from removable drive delete deletes the files).

OSX puts everything in the trash, no matter what kind of storage device, until you empty the trash (with the device connected).

7. B-town thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you thank you thank you. I had no idea. Guess I have alot to learn.

Thanks to everybody else who replied. One more question and it's about DVD burning. First off I would like to say that I do not download, music or movies. I buy everything and like keeping my store bought CDs and DVDs in mint condition. So I rip and copy everything just to keep the original in mint condition. On my PC I used DVD Shrink to rip the DVD and Nero to burn. DVD Shrink doesn't work on the Mac, I tried. Any suggestions?

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow