Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
New Zealand
As is in my signature, I have a week 26 2.2 SR MBP with LG screen, which seems to have 2 imperfections that I am unsure whether or not that's the standard.

1). Responses from charger LED & Battery indicator on screen are both very slow- it takes about 10mins for the light on the magsafe to turn from green to orange when battery is flat (always goes to green when first plugged in) then, while it's charging, after it gets to 99%, it stays at 99% for about 5 mins then it says "Calculating..." for at least 5 mins before saying "(charged)", so is this normal???

2). Sometimes the backlight on the keyboard won't turn on, for example I will be using it one minute, then leave it a bit & it goes out, then come back in the same light conditions & I can't get it to come back on. Backlight is enabled in keyboard pref's, & 1/2 the time it will come on, but the rest of the time it comes up with the shown info thingy (see below even though prob not occurring in this screenshot) but on 0 bars & a circle with a line through at the bottom - indicating no backlight for whatever reason.

Can anyone tell me if these are problems or not, I know these are incredibly petty compared to stuff happening to other peoples' MBP's, & apart from this it is perfect.

Thanks V Much

Attachments

• Backlight logo thingy.jpg
    Backlight logo thingy.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 361

Gandhi

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
TX
Both are normal functions - just enjoy your new computer and stop being such a worry wart :p

1) This is normal. Just don't leave it plugged in for too long after it turns green - exercise the battery by using it - it loves the exercise

2) This is normal as well. The MBP has an ambient light sensor. If there is lot of light in the room you are in, the keyboard backlight will not turn on no matter how much you try to activate it - it is a battery saving feature. When the backlight does come on, chances are one or both your hands are covering the light sensors (one each located under the left and right speaker grills). Try covering the speaker grills completely - screen should darken and keyboard backlight should turn on.

roker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
New Zealand
Both are normal functions - just enjoy your new computer and stop being such a worry wart :p

2) This is normal as well. The MBP has an ambient light sensor. If there is lot of light in the room you are in, the keyboard backlight will not turn on no matter how much you try to activate it - it is a battery saving feature. When the backlight does come on, chances are one or both your hands are covering the light sensors (one each located under the left and right speaker grills). Try covering the speaker grills completely - screen should darken and keyboard backlight should turn on.

Thanks for that- I'm so relieved. Only 2) it happens when I have it on the charger also, & yes, I know about the light sensors in the grill, but perhaps I'm really partly covering them when I think I'm not.

:):):)

Gandhi

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
TX
Thanks for that- I'm so relieved. Only 2) it happens when I have it on the charger also, & yes, I know about the light sensors in the grill, but perhaps I'm really partly covering them when I think I'm not.

:):):)

The light sensor is active even when you are plugged in. Its normal.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles

1) This is normal. Just don't leave it plugged in for too long after it turns green - exercise the battery by using it - it loves the exercise

how accurate is the exercising the battery statement? i just got a new MBP and i just leave it plugged in when im gone to work? should i unplug when i get home and then plug it back in when its needed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.