A couple of q's about iTunes Match

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tyler23, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hi all, just have a couple of questions before I subscribe for iTunes Match:

1) How much data can I expect the service to use each month? I currently have a 2 GB / month plan, and typically use about 1-1.5 GB per month. I listen to music while driving and walking on campus. Will data usage be the MB size of each song file streamed? If so I feel like that'd add up very fast..

2) Will my music files still be stores locally on my computer and on iTunes? I have a lot of time on my computer where I cannot connect to wifi and would like to listen to music on my computer.

Thanks in advance if you can help me out!

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

3. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Thanks for your response :)

I think I understand how it works for the most part. Mainly wondering about the data usage aspect of it

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Taken from the link posted above:
    So it will download the songs to your device once and won't use up any of your data while playing thereafter.

5. Tyler23, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

So if I stream a song on my iOS device, it automatically downloads? I can't just stream and not download? hmm, then what, just delete the song if I don't want to listen to it anymore?

6. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Hmm what I'm wondering is how do smartplaylists update with this?

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, it downloads and you can then delete it.

Honestly, I like iTunes Match a lot, but I am very disappointed with the streaming service. I cannot really listen to music that has not yet been downloaded while driving, for instance - even on AT&T 3g it's just not fast enough - and the streaming protocol is not robust - if it is interrupted it is very hard to get it to start again. This is not a network problem as I can listen to Pandora or Spotify on high quality with little issue (and they both handle interruptions fairly well).

As for how much data you'll use, that depends on how much you listen. Songs are 256kbps, which is about 112 megabytes per hour.