A couple of questions about installing Windows onto macbook pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacBook-Gal, Jun 28, 2009.

1. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

I am planning on installing windows vista onto my macbook pro very soon, but I have a couple of questions. First, is it absolutely necessary to have an external usb keyboard during the setup? Would an apple bluetooth keyboard work instead? I recently traded my usb keyboard for an apple bluetooth and would have to get another usb if it is necessary. Also, I am trying to decide how much space to allot the windows portion of my hard drive. I will only be using the windows vista part for a few programs..none of which require very much disk space.

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

If you can, wait for Windows 7, to be released October 22nd.

You cannot use a bluetooth keyboard, unfortunately, it must be USB.

As far as diskspace, I'd give Vista at least 32GB. You'll end up using it more than you'd think, especially if you're a recent switcher.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes, it must be a wired keyboard, not bluetooth. For one, bluetooth usually doesn't work until the system has booted up (I can use my bluetooth mouse fine on the OS X login screen for example, but am unable to use it at all to select between me OS X or Windows partitions on boot, I must use the trackpad or a wired mouse). Secondly, Windows wouldn't have the drivers for the bluetooth keyboard installed until after the OS is fully setup and the Bootcamp drivers are installed.

4. vertigo78 macrumors regular

the keyboard on my macbook worked just fine when i was installing windows

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why not just use the built-in keyboard of your MBP?

As for space, calculate how much you need for your stuff, then add about 15 GB for the system.

6. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

Can I use the built in keyboard? I read somewhere that it has to be an external one.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. contitego macrumors member

yes you can. you can not use special keys. Insert the os-x disc 1 when install is done and you are in vista to get the drivers installed.