A couple of questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tecknical, Jul 23, 2008.

1. tecknical macrumors regular

Ok so i just purchased a macbook pro a couple of days ago and i got two questions.

1. I got the 2GB RAM version because I dont want to pay apple $160 more for nothing. Does the 2GB MBP come with one 2Gb stick or two 1Gb sticks?
    2. Also, if I buy this off newegg and take it to bestbuy to install it (they said they will), will it void my warranty?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

3. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular

damn it so I gotta buy 2x2GB to get 4GB? ughh...o well, still cheaper by $100 than buying it direct from apple

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why have Best Buy install?
    It is a simple procedure and you can easily do it yourself.

There are videos with step by step... MRoogle it and there are many threads on this here

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular

well i want to make sure I dont mess it up. I tried adding ram to my old PC and i almost screwed it up. Figured out it was the wrong speed ram :(

6. Impatient macrumors newbie

No it doesn't void your warranty and checkout www.ifixit.com for the directions on how to install the RAM (or just about anything apple related) it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congratulations! This isn't a PC! ;)
    Seriously, this is an easy install

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. dcdude macrumors member

honestly if he had trouble installing it in a pc, he'll probably have trouble doing it here too. its an easy install on a pc as well.

unless you were just trying to wing it on the pc with no real direction of what to do, then just watch the youtube videos and you'll be fine

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

was just having a little fun, hence the ;) at the end of the post

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular

well i know how to change the ram, just on the PC i didnt know the specs of the mobo and i bought the wrong speed RAM. i think instead of PC3200 i bought PC5300 or something. I could unplug and plug the new ram back in but it was the wrong speed, hence it screwed up my comp

11. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Change the RAM yourself. Its a great thing to learn incase you have a problem and you need to reseat the RAM. Just follow the instructions. Its very easy.

12. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular

13. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

go to http://www.crucial.com/ the way you purchase memory there you know it will fit your machine. and if it isn't the cheapest then at least you know what model to get

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You can also have an applet on their site scan your computer for what type you use or enter what notebook you have and it tells you. I think the MBPs use PC-5300 now.

It's BEYOND simple to install. I had a problem, but I bought el cheapo Kingston ValueRAM and added it to the 1GB I had before. Probably incompatibility. Cheapo works fine, so I just stuck with 2GB.

You literally just have to take a few screws off the bottom, pop old out, pop new in. There's no stupid BIOS setup or anything. If they don't work together, the computer won't start. If they do, it starts. Zing, you're done.