A couple of things just hit me .. about v2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by razorianfly, May 31, 2008.

1. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Ok so, we all know that version 2.0 of the iPhone software which is also going to available for iPod touch is nearly upon us, but something today made me think about investing in 2.0 as an iPod touch user and owner of the JSU. We obviously don't know how apple is going to package the 2.0 update, whether they'll have a package which includes the JSU (Jan Software update) as well as 2.0 functionality and the app store (and everyone who bought the JSU separately just got screwed), or they decide to keep the JSU as a separate option and just provide the 2.0 functionality and the app store within the 2.0 firmware.

There are two things which bother me here;

One: The contents of version 2.0.
    What if Apple decide to bundle the JSU with 2.0 for a 'nominal' charge? - In Apple's eyes they'd be doing no harm, but what about the thousands of people who bought the update separately for $20 through iTunes? :eek: Only to find out they could have waited, because they would have been bundled with v2.0 all along? - Does the JSU just become dead money at that point?

Two: The actual function of the App Store.
    We all know that Apple plan to provide download of applications though both the physical version of iTunes, and the Wifi Store which resides in the current version of firmware, and this let me tell you, is great! But I have to think, with currently only 8/16 and 32GB options, what happens when you run out of space? We all know both devices have two partitions, one for the actual OS and it's resources, and the other for actual media storage. The current beta firmwares see these applications stored on the OS partition of the device. Where will apple choose to store these downloaded applications in the final candidate of 2.0?

A possible solution on Apple's part I would like to see implemented would be to integrate syncing options for the App Store, which resemble the current options for the iTunes Wifi Music Store. Options like, for example, an application bought through wifi would have to have the option to be synced back up to the main application library on your Mac/PC. Then I would like to see the usual syncing option of being able to select which applications are synced to the device, and when.

I just thought these were valid issues regarding the 2.0 firmware as it stands currently - and with WWDC just 8 days away,

What are you thoughts? :cool:

R-Fly

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

1. I'd think that most people would have purchased the january update/it came on the device when they bought it. I don't think that they would actually try to bundle it together. You might be able to upgrade to 2.0, but the apps could just be left out of that upgrade. I'd think that you'd still have to buy them both separately.

2. I'm thinking that something will probably be developed where the OS partition actually forms to the size that you need with your number of apps. They don't want you to run out of space for them, but then again, they don't want to limit your space for multimedia if you're not gonna download lots of apps.

3. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Perhaps people (including myself) who bought the JSU will get a subsidised fee for 2.0. I'm probably going to try and sell mine anyway. I need a new phone and there's one in particular that has caught my magpie-esque instincts.
    In the immortal words of Rolf Harris: "Can you guess what it is yet?"

4. David G. macrumors 6502a

I know, it's gotta be the Blackberry 9000 "Bold." :D

5. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

I doubt the apps will be bundled for free with the upgrade. I'd think they would be for sale within the store itself however.

As for the question about the running out of space, i doubt that'll be a major factor. Being jailbroken, I know that most of the apps I install are <300kbs. There are 300kb+ apps, and even 1mb+ apps, but they are much less common then the smaller ones. So, unless you go on a app-downloading spree, after you jam your ipod to the perfect limit, I doubt you'll have space issues.

6. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Agree w/ donaldj that the JSU apps will still be sold as an app package but in the new app store.

As for the the apps you download, that is a good point that I hadn't really thought about. Hopefully they do allow you to sync back purchased apps into iTunes or somewhere else on your computer so you can have the choice of including/excluding apps from being on your unit during the sync process.

7. beaglebark macrumors newbie

I wonder how the Jailbreak will work with this feature. Esp. BossTools.

8. DCBass macrumors 6502

On the Contrary...

I think that v2.0 of the software will include the JSU apps.

In fact, I expect every subsequent release to contain all of the functionalities of all previous releases.

This method is kind of like each release of mac osx (not counting the .X.X releases).

You didn't waste your money buying the JSU... you got a solid 6 months of use. Certainly, I don't think this meets expectations though. Mac users are used to paying $129 about every 1.5 yrs for a software update if they so choose... but are iPod touch consumers willing to pay $20 every 6 months to a year for the latest functionality? Methinks not.

If it's going to be that frequent, they had best make that nominal fee $5 - $10. Y'all can put me in the camp that thought the "stocks" and "weather" apps were definitely not worth $5 apiece... more like zero since you already have the internet anyway.

Cheers,

DCBass

9. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Agreed :cool:

10. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Apple will not bundle the 2.0 update with the JSU, it just doesn't make sense!

Apple phased out the the old software on their units by offering them at lower prices and only selling those that contained the JSU for the standard price. This cleared their stocks and now when you buy an iPod Touch it's always got the update on it. Any update will be made with those models in mind...and they'll assume the rest of us have already paid and updated the software on our units.

In addition, I'm pretty sure that they're building something into the next update that is going to make jailbreaking a bit harder though.

As for space issues.....

I'm sure they'll be stored on the storage parition under "Other". If that's the case we're talking about (at least) 8GB of space here. I don't think you're gonna fill all that up with tiny apps....and if you do..........

11. SNeil macrumors newbie

What about people like me ? I didn't get the JSU because I didn't feel the need for those apps. But with 2.0, there might be apps which may be of interest to me. So if I want to upgrade to 2.0, how would I go about it ?

12. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/N45AP Safari/419.3)

I hope back syncing to the computer happens, I dont have the money to buy again after a restore.....

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

It does. This was discussed at the SDK thingy three months ago.

14. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/N45AP Safari/419.3)

duh. I is not retarded.

Thanks. I guess I should pay more attention

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Pay the fee like everyone else that wants to upgrade to 2.0 and then buy the apps you want via the App Store...