Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lanervoza

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I like iPhoto, and I just upgraded to the latest version but...

1) I have Photoshop CS3 set as my editor. When I save it, it puts it in the "modified" section of the iPhoto library - but it doesn't show up in iPhoto? What am I missing here?

2) All of my RAWs come up as JPEGs. In my camera I have it set to take RAW and JPEG, and, for example, if I have it set to take a monochrome picture in-camera, I expect to see a B&W JPEG and a color RAW. This is what iPhoto shows me, but when I try to edit it, PS opens a JPEG? Again, I expect it could be me. But I'm not sure where to start looking.

Thanks,
Alex

lanervoza

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
well, just seconds after posting this, I solved problem number 2... no worries - it's in the advanced section of preferences.

lanervoza

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I have consquently also learned that if I edit a RAW file, I need to reimport afterwards...kind of annoying, but OK.

But! I still don't know where my edited JPEGs are.

Thanks for any advice!

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I have consquently also learned that if I edit a RAW file, I need to reimport afterwards...kind of annoying, but OK.

But! I still don't know where my edited JPEGs are.

Thanks for any advice!

This is probably not the answer you're shopping for, but iPhoto, though it can handle RAW in terms of presenting, is not designed for a RAW workflow. With the new Aperature, you can now get a reasonable interface (thought the old one was terrible), Apple integrated features, and good RAW workflow. Granted it's $199 (down $100!) but think of the time you save using the right tool!

I downloaded the 2.0 trial, and it's brilliant running on my MB 2.2 w/4GB RAM. I haven't loaded a huge database yet into it -- only about 2000 photos, but given that you're using iPhoto, I'm assuming you aren't talking about 10K photos, anyway?

Worth a trial run at least from the Apple web site.

<EDIT> Oops -- just saw you are a newbie to MacRumors. If you are a Newbie to Mac, then you may be thinking "but I thought iLife was supposed to handle all my multi-media needs." It really can for consumer-level needs. Most of the industry to date has decided that RAW is above the consumer level. If you are working with jpegs, you will most likely be quite happy w/iPhoto, but all the "real" features of working with RAW are embedded in pro apps like Aperature. It'd be the same in the PC World, where you'd be best off using CS3 and/or Lightroom (or other apps) to work with RAW, rather than, say, Picasa.

I think the use of RAW is creeping down at least into hobbyists (like myself) as storage gets cheaper, so this may change over time, but that's where we are right now.

lanervoza

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
thanks for the response

New to MR, not new to mac though. Just wasn't prepared :(. I'm just starting to get into more careful post-processing (previously I would just take or leave a picture), and have been enjoying messing around with RAW in PS, but I like iPhoto for organization.

But I accept iPhoto's lack of versatility when it comes to RAW now. However, I'm still wondering where my edited JPEGs are??

Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.