A couple question about the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chaseg22, Dec 10, 2011.

1. chaseg22 macrumors newbie

So I am buying a new iMac (since mine is from 2006). Right now I have 512 MB Ram, 160 GB HD, and core 2 Duo Processor.
    My main use for this machine is downloading and converting movies with SOME editing.
    Would I benefit much from the i7 3.4 Ghz or would it just be a waste?
    Should I go for the 3.1 i5 or just stay with the 2.7 Ghz i5 Base model (1699$).
    What I am asking is FOR me, would I even notice the difference between paying 2200$ or 1699$. Also will the processor affect the life span of the computer? (i.e faster processor will last longer?)
    Thanks guys

2. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Keep in mind for that same base model 27" you can get the top model with the 3.1 and 6970 in the refurbished section. That is what I just did.

As far as the performance. I think any of the new models will be a huge upgrade for you. I would recommend going with the better video card because that is the main bottleneck. Well besides the HDD.
    I woud think the better video card would extend the life of usefulness of the computer. Plus y ou would get the faster i5.
    From what I have gathered the i7 isn't tons faster than the i5. But the 6970 is a good bit faster than the 6770.

3. chaseg22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now what about going for the 1GB to 2GB for the 6970, is that going to make a difference, is it worth it for 90$?

4. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

If you're only using one monitor the extra $90 won't help.

5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Depends on what your doing. I have been told some games may utilize it. But I really think 1gb will be plenty. At times I still can't get over how fast things have changed in the computer industry. Especially with memory.

One thing about the refurbed route. You can't do any customization. However, I saved $440 per iMac for a total savings of $880. Hard to argue with that. Has the same warranty and they are basically new. Some even say they can be better since they get a more personal QC check compared to the assembly line which probably only gets random QC checks.