A couple questions before buy a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ndriver182, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I just returned my second iMac that was having screen issues and was able to get a full refund. I plan to buy a Mac Pro sooner than later since I need it for work and unfortunately cannot wait around until a potential refresh of the model. I'm looking at getting the base model since I don't need all of the power in some of the more high-end models (remember, I originally had the new iMac after all). So I had a couple of quick questions:

1. Is buying a refurb Mac Pro a safe bet? I know all of the warranties still apply and they come with all the same parts/software/accy's that a new one comes with so it seems like a no-brainer for the reduction in price. That being said, I've never purchased any Apple refurb items so I don't know their reputation.

2. I haven't been into gaming for some time, but I'm curious how the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (256 meg) in the Mac Pro stacks up against the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO (256 meg) that was in the iMac I just returned. Any thoughts?

3. Lastly, the Mac Pro comes with a keyboard - Anybody know if it's the new aluminum keyboard or the old style keyboard?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

1. Refurbs are generally great as many posts show on the forum. Even sometimes get better specs than advertised.
    2. hopefully someone else will have an answer.
    3.pretty sure old one.

3. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well as it turns out I ended up just buying a brand new one. With the student discount there was only about $100 difference and since I don't really need the iPod Nano I'm getting with it, maybe I can sell it for a few bucks.

I did some a little research on the video card and it looks like the one that comes in the Mac Pro isn't quite as good as the one in the new iMac. That being said it looks like you can get a new x1900xt relatively cheap online should I decide I actually need the power. Anybody have any experience doing the upgrade?

I really did like the new aluminum keyboard when I was using the iMac. Not as big of a fan of the other keyboard. So if I get stuck with the old style maybe I'll just use the Kensington Mac keyboard I was using with my MBP for a while or my old Windows keyboard to match my monitor I'm going to get. If anybody knows for sure if they switched to the new aluminum keyboard please let me know. I'd be a happy camper :D

4. bld44 macrumors 6502

The Mac Pro is a pro model. It will not come with the new keyboard because many people find it unusable (myself included). A lot of professionals that use the system for final cut could not use a flat, no curved/level keyboard.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've purchased refurbs from Apple before and have been very pleased with the products. Never had a problem.

As far as I know, the GeForce 7300 GT is not a very good gaming card. While the X1900 isn't the newest or most powerful card out there anymore, it's still quite capable and should deliver a fine gaming experience.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The 7300GT definitely isn't the card you want if you're interested in gaming. Definitely get the X1900 XT. You can't just buy any model, you must get the one specifically for the Mac Pro. I'm betting it's cheaper to get it as a BTO option.