A couple questions before purchasing, I'm almost there but need your help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MK25toLife, Dec 31, 2007.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

I really only want the Touch as a portable Internet device, wanna be able to check email and use the web whenever I want. I live in NYC (Manhattan) so how easy/hard is it to get free Wi-Fi? If you could give me some of your experiences based on where you live or where you've traveled with your Touch and whether or not you've been able to get internet access would be great.

Also, aside from using it as a phone, what features does the iPhone have that the Touch doesn't? I think Google Maps and an email app. are missing right? Anything else? Can I get Google Maps and an email app. for my Gmail through Jailbreak? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

New York I would imagine you would be able to easily find Wifi hotspots. That city should be chock full of them. It is easy to find a hotspot with the touch.

The iPhone has the following things over the touch: Phone Mail Stocks Weather Notes and some more minor things. You can get all of these applications and more through the use of the installer.app that you get once you Jailbreak.

Enjoy your touch!

3. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

even though a lot of wifi in n.y. does not mean it is not locked.

you may be able to use it a lot but not "whenever you want".

first thing to do is jailbreak it and get everything but the phone in the iphone.

4. KFCTR macrumors member

KFCTR

iPhone differences with iPod Touch

Hardware:iPod touch is slimer (8mm vs. 11.6mm)
    iPhone has a 2MP camera
    iPhone supports bluetooth, and more types of Wi-Fi
    iPhone has a silence button and volume buttons
    iPhone comes in 4GB (399$) and 8GB (499$) models
    iPod Touch comes in 8GB (299$) and 16GB (399$) models
    iPhone has an external speaker and microphone
    and some minor differences

Software: iPhone supports phone, mail, maps, stocks, weather, and calender with addable events. Most apps can be istalled using Jailbreak. iPod Touch is said to have bad video quality when playing very dark shades, but an update can fix it. Both have the same processers and operating systems.

So are you going to buy it?
    :D

5. delude macrumors 6502

Did they not stop making the 4gb iPhone models?

6. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I live in a rural town in NJ in a neighborhood. The houses are about 100-200 feet away and we are all pretty well-to-do and all have wireless routers. There are about 20 houses in the neighborhood and wherever I go I have WiFi. I would imagine that WiFi hotspots wouldn't be all that hard to find in a large city. However, I'm sure many people that DO have wireless routers probably have password protected networks. You might get lucky though and find spots where you get internet for free.
    Hope that helped!

7. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Yes, they did stop making them. It is only available in 8g, unless you find a used/ebay'd, or refurbished unit. However, it doesn't sound like the OP is looking for anything used/refurbed.