A couple questions for a future macbook owner...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thinkband, May 26, 2008.

1. thinkband macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I have been on the fence for a long time as to what to buy, a macbook or macbook pro. For the size, a macbook looks to be the best (College student).

I am going to get a Samsung 2253bw and want to hook my laptop up to it while in the dorm room. I would rather have a matte screen on the laptop and better graphics card, but might like to spend the extra $600 I save for getting a macbook on something else. Will I notice any difference in performance/visuals between a high spec'd macbook and a low spec'd macbook pro connected to a 22" monitor while doing basic internet tasks and photo rendering in photoshop CS3? I am not too worried about the other features of the macbook pro if my basic requirements are covered. What do you guyz think?

For someone like me, would you just go with the macbook? I mean there is a $400+ price difference. Thanks! :)

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Hi,
    I am at University at the moment, doing engineering. I have a macbook plugged into an external Samsung 22" and it works perfectly. Easy to set-up & provides a very crisp display. If I was you I would get the macbook (perhaps use it in clamshell) and save the $600 as it will probably be needed, I know I could do with more money.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook is more than enough for what you're trying to do.

I think you need to look at the monitor again though - consider the 20" Samsung model instead - I've compared them in person and the 20" model has the same resolution and is therefore much more crisp than the 22" model. Just a thought.

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I agree with you here as well. Either go for the 20" or just jump to a 24".