A couple questions on FW800 Harddrives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ltHank, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ltHank macrumors newbie

1) Can I boot a separate system off of a FireWire hard drive? I have two partitions (Bootcamp OSX/Vista) on my MacBook Pro, but can't really spare any space for a new (linux) partition.

2) If it is possible to boot, how does this affect daisy chaining of FW800s.

3) How does daisy chaining work, anyhow? Is it possible to set up Time Machine for both so that it will automatically keep the data backed up on both (for the sake of redundant storage)?

4) Somewhat OT: Can you boot from a Expresscard 34 SSD?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well here are some of the answers anyways-

1. You can boot a separate system off a FW drive IF the operating system you are using allows it- and I do not know about Linux but I suspect it would. :( Windows XP for example was not designed to be booted from an external device, so will not support it- but on the other hand OSX has always been designed for it, which is what allows you have your boot drive externally if desired- or you can have say 10.5 on your internal boot drive as well as an external 10.4 boot disk (or another version of 10.5 or both).

2. Daisy chaining does not change the bootability of FW drives wherever they fall in the chain.

3. Daisy chaining is probably easiest to think of as a series of drives hooked to each other in a series one after the other (in a chain ;)) with only one connection to the computer (with which the first one is connected). It could be visualized as:

Computer FW Port--->drive 1--->drive 2--->drive 3--->drive 4

That would then contrast with how USB drives (which do not support daisy chaining) would be connected:

Computer USB port (or USB hub port) 1--->drive 1
    Computer USB port (or USB hub port) 2--->drive 2
    Computer USB port (or USB hub port) 3--->drive 3
    Computer USB port (or USB hub port) 4--->drive 4

Time Machine is designed to back up to a single specific device (drive). I have never heard of a method of having it back to multiple drives. Most people who desire redundancy (particularly in light of some, shall we just say, oddities in Time Machine operation) let TM back up to one drive, then use either the scheduled or manual modes of backup software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to duplicate a bootable backup to another drive. The advantage to that too is that the CCC or SuperDuper can be booted from immediately should there be trouble with your boot drive, where TM cannot be.

4. Don't know. I would think it might be a feature/difficulty with specific models of the cards, but a little Google searching would probably point out the facts regarding that.

3. broncopde macrumors 6502

Very good

Very good and thorough answers. OP, listen to all of this.

4. ltHank thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, very thorough reply! Thank you for the info!

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

My pleasure- glad it helped. I used to teach, so I still have that habit of explaining rather than just answering! :eek: