A couple questions on Migrations and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmdeegan, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jmdeegan macrumors member

First, on migration....I moved from my MacBook to MacBook Pro, and now I have at the login screen I have a user, and a user OLD choice. I only use the user option, but wondering if I can get away with deleting the OLD selection, or if that is critical (im guessing no....)

2nd--I've done 2 time machine backups (2 different drives), and in both cases, in the status bar it says it's got 138 GB to backup (my entire HDD). It gets about 65GB in, and then completes, or at least closes. I can't see any errors, so i am wondering why it stopped there---did it decide the other 70GB were not needed? Was there an error?

One option is to restore it to a bare drive (which is what I intend to do anyways) and see what might be missing....but I figured if it was saying backing up 138gb, it would really back up 138 gb....not stop at the halfway point with no message indicating "completed" or "errors" or anything. Just the main time machine screen stating when the next backup will occur.

Sorry if these are answered elsewhere, I didn't see them in a quick check...

thanks

2. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

If the account you use right now is the one that was migrated from the backup, you can go ahead and delete the OLD account (I am presuming that is the account that was created when you installed the operating system, and has nothing in it). If the OLD account is the one that was migrated, then it has all your documents in it and you should move them over before deleting the account.

I can't help you with your other question, I have no idea :(

3. jmdeegan thread starter macrumors member

i think you are right--i checked, and it has stuff listed, but most folders come up as 0 kb, the whole user is under 500kb, so im going to delete it.

i cant remember the order i did it in, its been a while.

i think/hope when i do the clean install and restore from time machine that i get my answer. im guessing there's a large chunk of files it doesnt feel like/need to backup. if it were like 4-8gb, i'd say it's maybe OS files it figures you'd reinstall anyways, but i haven't a clue. can always call apple....

that it did that 2 times, on 2 different known good drives, makes me think its normal. the fact, however, that each of my (only) 2 time machine backups took under 2 hours each (though over firewire 400 and 800 respectively), makes me not sure.