A couple questions on Spaces (I did search)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by killfoot, Dec 11, 2008.

1. killfoot macrumors newbie

I'm used to linux, and utilized workspaces a lot so I was happy to see that mac has the 'Spaces' application. There are a couple things that are bothering me though.

How do I open multiple instances of an application, terminal specifically, in different spaces. Whenever I click the terminal icon that I put in my dock, it just brings me to the space where it is already open. It bothers me that I have to switch every time I want to be at the command line.

The other thing, and this isn't such a big deal, is there an easier way to move a window from space to space? The way I currently do it is to get up that window that shows all of your Spaces then drag & drop.

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

3. killfoot thread starter macrumors newbie

That solves the terminal problem (BobZune's number 2). Thanks a lot :)

Although warp is a cool aplication, it doesn't give me what I was looking for. Heres how I'm used to it from linux: Right click on the bar at the top of most windows, select send to workspace and a submenu comes up with options 1, 2, 3 and 4. I'm looking for something like that, or a keyboard shortcut to send the current window to x workspace (like command+alt+<number of workspace> or something)

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You are welcome. There isn't an application for that behavior that I know of. You can request Apple for the feature at http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

5. killfoot thread starter macrumors newbie

A Solution

Anybody searching for the terminal problem should be aware that I found a solution that you don't have to do anything to get.

When you run the terminal, it comes into your dock. If you switch spaces, you can hold control and click the terminal icon. Go to new window->basic (or whatever you want). That will open a new window in a different space :)

6. killfoot thread starter macrumors newbie

I found yet another answer for this question. This works pretty well.

You can also move widows to a different space by:
    1. Clicking on the bar at the top of the window and holding down, as you would to move it normally.
    2. While still holding down the mouse button, push control and whatever desktop number you want (so ctrl+2 for desktop two, ctrl+3 for desktop three etc)
    3. Done!