A couple questions regarding the new MBP's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hovitos-way, Feb 26, 2008.

1. hovitos-way macrumors member

Hi,

I am finally converting to a mac and have decided to go with the new MBP's. However, I am slightly unsure as to which 15" i should go for. Will the extra 256mb VRAM make much difference on a GeForce 8 graphics card? The 2.4Ghz model seems a lot better value, however, the double L2 Cache of the 2.5Ghz makes me think that this might be the better option :confused:

Also, I was wondering if the 7200RPM hard drive uses much more power than the 5400RPM drive? If not then I think I will get this config if it is a lot faster (can someone help me in regards to difference I would notice between the two drives). The space is not much of an issue with me as I have an External drive already which I make use of.

Thanks!

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

What will you be using it for? The 1999 is a great value for what you get, especially an extra $500

3. saule cogneur macrumors newbie

25% extra money for <10% speed is not worth it to me. A few have said the extra memory on the 8600 won't make a difference because it is a mid-range card.

4. hovitos-way thread starter macrumors member

I am an engineering student. So I will be using it for matlab and also programming too. I will also like to play games on it and begin to edit some photos of mine too.

Yeh I read that too but wasn't too sure. Do you have any info on the Hard Drive speeds? Could the combination of increased hard drive speed (with the 7200RPM), 6mb L2 Cache and 256mb more VRAM produce more value that the 2.4? I think I am now leaning towards the 2.4 if the L2 Cache doesn't have too much impact...espescially as it is $500 cheaper :D

Thanks for the help!!

5. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

My guess is that you'd be much better off using the extra cash for ram, 7200 rpm hd and an external hd for time machine

6. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

the 7200 rpm hd is bto on both right?

7. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

First off, congrats on the decision to switch.

If you're on a budget, I say use the money saved on the entry model to up the RAM and get the faster drive. It will serve you just fine!

8. hovitos-way thread starter macrumors member

Yes. I was just unsure as to whether I should sacrifice the hard drive space for the speed of the 200gb 7200RPM drive. I was also worried about whether this will generate more heat than the 5400RPM drive. Can anyone clarify this matter for me?

I think I am going to go for the 2.4ghz model and upgrade to the 200gb 7200RPM drive for the extra $90 and then buy 4gb of ram from either OWC, NewEgg or Crucial.

I think I will also use the money I will save by buying some security such as a Kensington lock and Orbicule Undercover. :cool:

If I go to a store can I configure BTO options (such as the hard drive). Am I able to order it at the store (as opposed to online) and then pick it up when they get it delivered?:confused:

Thanks

9. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

MATLAB hogs memory like mad, so if you're using it for serious work (i.e., large matrices), those extra 2G would come in handy.

10. hovitos-way thread starter macrumors member

Yeh, no matter what I do regarding configuration, I am going to buy some 3rd party RAM.

However, I have just found out (from chatting to an Online Store Rep) that I am unable to go to my local store and get them to order me a MBP with the BTO option of the 7200RPM hard drive.