a couple questions relating to a new hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenbreadmmm, Dec 6, 2008.

1. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

im getting a 320 gb hd for my santa rosa mbp. im getting the bigger size so i can install bootcamp with more room. Right now when i try to install bootcamp it says i have to reformat the drive to allow this. So when i install this new drive, can i restore it from time machine and if so will bootcamp still say i have to reformat since its a copy? thanks

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

not sure but you could use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your drive, bootcamp and all.

Might not be as quick though IMO, it copies everything alphabetically which could make it slower. Not sure, anyone else know about this?

3. dcMobile macrumors member

Or you could boot from another drive and, via disk utility, create an uncompressed read only disk image of the disk drive (not the volume).

Then you can restore that image to your new drive. I've found it's faster than SuperDuper provided you "erase destination" and thus do a block copy.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Actually so there is no confusion, CCC doesn't clone complete drives- it clones on a partition by partition basis (which acts like a complete drive if there is only one partition of course) and is only written to clone OSX formatted partitions. Cloning the Boot Camp partition could be easily accomplished with the free Mac app called WinClone which makes short work of Windows/BC partitions with no fuss. ;)

EDIT: Plus in rereading the OP, Boot Camp has not been installed successfully yet so there is no BC partition to worry about.