A couple questions. (USB ports, heat)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jazojas12, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

I have a Mid09 13in MBP.

I noticed that when I put it in sleep, the USB ports still get power. Is there a way to make it so they turn off when it sleeps? I have a cooling plate attached so I have to unplug it every time I sleep it, gets pretty annoying when I forget and I unplug the USB plug and the MBP turns back on. My mouse/keyboard are BT so it wakes it that way, not by USB.

And is it bad for me to have the laptop running with the lid closed? I don't know if the heat would affect the screen or not. I'm currently not doing this because I'm not sure about the effects of the heat on the screen, but I do use a cooling plate, average temps are 120-130*F.

Thanks for any positive responses.

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I am not aware of any way to turn off the USB ports when sleeping your Mac.

You can run your laptop in clamshell mode; it should be fine, especially with the cooling pad.:)

3. Jazojas12 thread starter macrumors regular

For example, I'm using the miniDP cable with my TV, BT mouse/keyboard. Would that be clamshell mode? Does it do this automatically when everything is plugged in or do I have to change it somewhere?

4. Harryc macrumors member

I think having powered USB ports on all the time is by design. It allows you to charge external devices (like iPods) while the laptop is not in use.

5. Shaduu, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014

Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

If the screen lid is closed while you're doing this, the machine is in clamshell mode.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My late 08 unibody MBP has powered USB ports when its sleeping. I thought it was weird.

I have an aeolus laptop cooler (usb powered) and its fans keep spinning when I put the MBP to sleep. Likewise I notice my bus-powered external drive is still lit up when my MBP is sleeping.