A couple quick restore questions...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by LD220, Nov 22, 2009.

1. LD220 macrumors member

Hi guys. I've read a bunch of posts regarding how to restore an Ipod after jailbreaking it, but I can'y seem to find answers to a ocuple of my other questions, so if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to jailbreak until I'm absolutely sure I can go back if something goes wrong.

1) I'm currently running 3.1.2, but I have a 1st gen, so my original software was probably something like 1.x.x. If I do a restore, will Itunes load 3.1.2, or will I have to do something extra to get that back? I paid $10 for the update so I don't want to lose it.

2) When I sync the jailbroken Ipod and Itunes does a backup, does it save the jailbreak files too? How does that work if I wanted to restore from a backup?

3) If software updates are released after I jailbreak, I will either have to unjailbreak by restoring and purchase the software, or wait til some sort of jailbreak update comes out, is that correct?

I guess that's it for now. Thanks in advance for your help! This forum has always given me great answers.

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

iTunes will only download the latest firmware version but if you have purchased OS from 3.0 to 3.1.2 then you can redownload at no charge provided iTunes is logged into the same account used to purchase the update originally as apple has a record of the purchase.

The iTunes backup will not save any jailbreak files\data but it will save a few of the tweak settings like battery percentage which will still be enabled even if you restore to non-jailbroken firmware. Also if you have any apps hidden be sure to unhide them before you backup as they can remain hidden after a restore.

Any update or restore will remove the jailbreak and depending on what changes have been made to the new firmware you may have to wait for new jailbreak software to become available. Depending on what model device you have you also may not be able to downgrade to an earlier version of firmware after an upgrade.

3. LD220 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information. If I decide I don't want my Ipod jailbroken anymore, do I just restore to the most recent backup then? I thought I read somewhere that files get left behind and to get rid of them you should restore factory settings or something like that. If that's true, I will lose any application changes I've made while jailbroken right? Would there be a way to get them back?

Also, if I backup after jailbreaking and I download apps that are just for jailbroken ipods, won't they be in the backup too. If I restore that backup, they'll just be deleted?

4. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Yes, reinstall the firmware then restore your apps/data and settings from backup.

As mentioned before some settings and tweaks can get saved to a backup which can be removed by "Resetting all Settings" via Settings\Reset after you have restored from a backup. iTunes will not backup jailbreak related data files or programs.

You will only lose application changes if you restore as new and then manually reload your apps, if you restore from backup and then reset settings all your application data will remain intact.

5. LD220 thread starter macrumors member

Ok great. Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions, I just didn't quite understand all of the information that I was reading in other people's posts, so I just wanted to clarify.

Just to make sure I understood correctly, is this correct? If I decide to undo the jailbreak, or if I want to do a new software update or something, I should hit "restore" and when it asks me, i should tell it to "backup" first, and then restore from that? Rather than tell it to not backup and then restore. This will save all my nonjailbreak settings/files and restore my Ipod as not jailbroken. Rather than restoring as new, which will restore to factory settings and erase everything.

What do you mean by reset settings? How do I do that?

6. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Yes.

Not all but some people report having issues with things like excessive battery usage or poor wifi connectivity for example when restoring from a previous backup especially when restoring from a backup made from a different version device eg. a 2G Touch to a 3G Touch or in some cases between firmware versions eg. 2.1 to 3.0.

In these cases this can be remedied by either restoring as a new device in which case you start from scratch and lose all your game saves, app data etc., or once restored from backup going into Settings\Reset\Reset all Settings which will basically remove all system settings like wifi, power, lock codes etc. transferred from the backup and reset them to factory default but will not effect your app data.

7. LD220 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for your answers! This information is really helpful.