A crazy idea I have about upgrading my 17" Al PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KawaiiAurora, Apr 9, 2017.

1. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Hmm, so.. I've been thinking about an upgrade for my G4 (more like an overhaul)!

Since PowerBooks G4 haven't really changed much since the 17" Al 1Ghz model, I was thinking about changing the logic board to a higher specced one. I'd very much like a 1.5GHz G4 and a Radeon 9700 instead of a 1GHz G4 and an MX 440 Go. I know that it would require me to disassemble and reassemble everything but that won't be too bad to do when I have some time to kill ;)

Just asking to see if it's possible (and if anyone's done it and can give me some pointers)!

Logic board link (NOT MY LISTING OF COURSE): https://www.ebay.com/itm/152236037396

Thank you very much for spending your time to read my thought that crossed my mind while I was checking an iFixit guide on how to upgrade the RAM :)

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's possible up to the 1.67 SD.

Apple changed the LCD cable connector on the logicboard for the 1.67 DLSD. So you would not be able to use your current screen with a 1.67 DLSD logicboard. The DC-Inverter for the 1.67 DLSD is also more powerful and it has different ram. So pretty much not possible with that model.

But you can drop in a 1.5 logicboard and be ok.