A crazy issue with my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Sure enough I go and flame my Apple TV and my iPhone goes wonky the same day.

It's been working fine since I got it. Last night, I had it charging on my computer. This morning, I disconnected it before I took my MBP elsewhere to mess around.

Skip forward to 2:30. I want to listen to music in my car. My iPhone says there are no songs, no videos, no NOTHING on there. I plug it back up and open iTunes. There are about 400MB of photos and 6GB of "Other". I haven't an effin' clue what the other is. All of my songs, podcasts, etc. that I had checked to sync are unchecked. I redo them and hit sync. I get the "you don't have enough space, fool!" error message.

So right now I'm in the middle of a restore. I brought my MBP to work, but I have to wait until a trip to Starbucks because I need an Internet connection to get it working. Apparently it has to do something via iTunes online to restore completely.

Does anybody have any freakin' clue what happened? Part of me thought (gasp!) virus, part of me thought some mega e-mail attachment got through. This is one reason it would be nice to have a Finder app so we could know WTF is on the phone.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Seems like a rare glitch. Maybe some how that 6GB of files are all of your files listed under "Other" but you can't access them.

Let us know how the restore goes.

3. iPhelim macrumors regular

I have heard of this happening but i'm not sure why it would happen. A restore was the right thing to do and yes, you need the internet connection to activate the phone.

4. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

As I recall, they totaled up to *about* how much stuff I had on there, but I thought I was closer to the limit. Of course it's actually 7.2ish GB, so I probably was close.

I just wish I had noticed this, oh, 8 hours ago instead of right when I needed it to work. BAAAAHHH!!! I guess I need to go buy a Granny Smith and sacrifice her to the Gods of Cupertino.

5. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

It's times like these when I'd really love to know what the heck it takes to get a WiFi connection here. I know we're cheap (we have gotten rid of free coffee and our filtered water), but damn.