A Crucial Decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sahib90, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Sahib90 macrumors newbie

Although I have been an unofficial member of "Mac Rumours" for many years, I have only now signed up in order to ask this question which I hope the Mac Rumours community can help.

Although owning several Apple products I.e IPhones, iPods and iPads. I have always been a Pc user. However that is about to change *drum rolls please*

I have decided to purchase a Mac due to opening an Photography business and wanted a few questions to be answered before doing so.

I have decided to purchase the MBP "Type R" as some would say with the spec of 2.3ghz which is the baseline model although upgrading the model from 8gb to 16gb. I am also going to University this year so would like my Mac to last the adventure I am about to go on which should last about 3-4 years.

However, reading upon the views, it seems the MBP "Type R" is pretty much hated on and therefore, is considering the top spec of the normal MBP which is the same price.

The question I have is non retina compatible program's such as Adobe CS5 master collection, does it really look bad on the MBP " Type R" ? And would it be wise to purchase the MBP "Type R" instead of the normal updated MBP. (I actually do not give a monkeys about the upgrading facility). Any negative feedback about the MBP "Type R" would be appreciated before my decision which would be settle by tomorrow morning.

Thank you for the people who read this and an extra thank you for those able to comment and help me. :). I too hope to be introduced in the "Mac OS" family.

2. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Pretty much some software will look 'bad' before it's updated to support retina and I have not seen any hate about the rMBP and pretty much it's getting glowing reviews everywhere.

I would get the rMBP as per the spec you mentioned as this looks to be the best compromise between performance and price.

As many as there is which don't like the retina and/or how it makes apps look bad there is just as many who say it looks excellent.

Make your own informed decision as both are excellent machines anyway.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First, please stop with the "Type R" because it seems even more silly than saying "rMBP." ;)

Most, no all, of your concerns are already being addressed in countless threads. For example, Adobe is working on their apps and it is only a matter of time before you'll realize the benefit of working in an Adobe app using a laptop with a high resolution screen (retina). Next, other apps will soon follow just like the iPhone and iPad. If you have these devices you would and should already know how developers follow suit. No one is going to sit around and not update unless they find zero cost benefit in doing so and in that case, the app is probably unnecessary to you.

Go to a store and try Aperture. It's amazing to be honest. As a "photographer" you can really or should really appreciate it. Would I go with Retina today? I think I would even though the idea that Apple is pushing us into a computer that we no longer have control over (inside), I would still go retina. I believe the real estate is worth it and soon enough the apps that are important to me will be updated (Adobe etc).

That being said, I truly hope the machine lasts 3-4 years. I got that out of my PowerBook through 1/2 of college and grad school. I only hope that it still rings true of these new machines.

Retina being hated around here is stupid. I don't think people get it to be honest and frankly it is nothing more than the same issues they complained about with the iPhone and iPad. Do not ever let your buying decisions rest on this site. This site, although home to many many members, is not indicative of the entire population. People complain more than they actually praise; this will always be the case. Take what you learn here to heart only so far as knowing that there are people who are not "hating" on retina or who are mindful of the "advance" in technology and the adaption of it by software developers that will eventually follow.

Your decision should be based on what you need today, what you know you can get today in terms of software, and what your budget allows of course. If upgrading yourself is not important do not rule out the retina MBP.

4. MacBird macrumors 6502

I just wish people would not talk about 'hate' all the time, what is the problem with differing opinions?

As for your question, it is unlikely that Adobe will update CS5. In order to avoid the scaling issues, you might have to get CS6 if you get the retina MBP and Adobe will update CS6 sometime later this year.

5. Sahib90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. First I would just like to say thank you for the quick replies. Jessica you have very much answered everything I had on mind. With your comment as well as Macbirds reply. I will soon be a "RMBP" owner. Thanks guys.

6. nicklasmp macrumors member

thanks that cleared up a few things for me aswell jessica :)

7. STxMacUser macrumors member

STxMacUser

You will probably benefit more in the long run with the retina display MBP.
    With that said....you cannot go wrong with any of the options that you have.

I went to Mac from PC about 3 years ago and now that Office for Mac is available....I only go back to PC when I have to, (i.e. when I am at work).

You will be a happy camper with your switch to Mac. Good luck!

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You're welcome.

Office for Mac has been available for a long while. :) That was my #1 need when switching my home computers to Macs in 2004 and it was available. But still, I get where you're going.

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

All the intelligent things have already been said, so I'll add on something simple that may have been overlooked - anyone who is looking at a laptop for the next few years, not the next few months, needs to seriously look at the MBPR. It's the first retina display. It won't be the last. Not from Apple, and not from the PC side of things either.

10. Sahib90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jessica. Apart from Adobe, Microsoft and Aperture. Is there any other program's which would benefit me from using my Mac. Anything worth installing on the machine :)

11. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

You've pretty much named the big 3 but when you get your rMBP just check out the appstore there is thousands of useful apps on there.

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

[​IMG]

:p

13. HighEndMac macrumors regular

rMBP

You have to think the retina is the future. Software and web sites will need a grace period to catch up to the super high resolution, but believe me it will come. So it's better to have the technology (The retina screen) now so you don’t kick your as* when everyone starts being compatible in 6 months or less.

You can always run a lower resolution until this migration happens, I know not ideal but it’s an option.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Lol..... soon people will be upgrading the fans to sound more sporty, and wait till VTECH kicks in.....

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You mean specific to retina or just in general?
    I'm a pretty minimal user of software myself. I have the big ones of course that you've named, iLife suite because I use garage band and iPhoto, a few utility type apps like text wrangler, istat menus, drop box, fairmount & handbreak for copying my movies, toast, vlc, 1Password, etc. What it comes down to is how will you use your machine? When I got my first mac I had every bit of software that crossed my path. I quickly realized I didn't care about a better finder utility or things like that. It's easy enough to get rid of apps anyway. ;)

I ran side by side windows and a Mac and the only thing that never made it to my mac was AutoCAD. I think about upgrading my very ancient version now that they're embracing OSX but I have no real-world use for it any longer. :(
    I LOL'd!!!
    Rice burner!

16. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

cs5 will be useless to you since i doubt adobe will update it for retina. it will most likely come with cs6 eventually, but who knows when?

sorry but if you are actually opening a photography business i wouldn't rely on a retina display macbook pro if its going to be your only computer.

and office for mac currently looks awful on retina display.

17. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Intel Turbo Boost just kicked in yo!

18. STxMacUser macrumors member

STxMacUser

Yes, I have had Office for Mac since about 2007....I kind of botched the wording when trying to get my point across. Switchovers from PC to Mac probably experienced a pretty good surge when Office did become available.

There are lots of popular software programs that are available in Mac OSX versions...which brings up another point....

If you have some old PC programs that you want to add to your new RMBP...start looking for the Mac installation discs or look online to see if you can download your copy of the software in the Mac OSX version.