A cure for lymphoma!?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
From Here!

WOW I think this is pretty big!

BOSTON (Reuters) - A single dose of antibodies laced with radioactive iodine can wipe out a usually fatal form of cancer in the lymphatic system, researchers reported on Wednesday.

A new treatment for advanced-stage follicular lymphoma known as the Bexxar therapeutic regimen was found to shrink tumors in 95 percent of patients, researchers said. And it took a fraction of the time of traditional chemotherapy with fewer side effects.

The non-Hodgkins lymphoma affects about 60,000 people in the United States and is not considered curable using traditional treatments. Even when patients initially respond to treatment, the disease almost always comes back and becomes more difficult to treat.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Very exciting! We'll see, however, how well it works against an older set of patients with more aggressive cancer...I hope it will still work very well.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This is good news. I pray that further research & treatments will validate these results. My father died with Lymphoma 30 years ago this Spring.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
This is potentially very good news. Let's hope it lives up to the hype!

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, it looks fairly promising. However i'd like to see what the long term results are after remission. usually the radiation treatment leads to a higher chance of forming a second primary tumor elsewhere.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
awesome link- both my grandmother and father suffered through lymphoma, thankfully- each was able to beat the cancer with chemo and localized radiation. this sounds promissing :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
gwuMACaddict said:
awesome link- both my grandmother and father suffered through lymphoma, thankfully- each was able to beat the cancer with chemo and localized radiation. this sounds promising :D
I'm very happy to hear about the survival of your grandmother and father. Chemotherapy has greatly improved over the las decade. How recently did they receive treatment? Do your remember the Chemo that they received?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.