A Curious Situation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by redking31591, Sep 24, 2009.

1. redking31591 macrumors 6502

Just thought I would post this to get some other opinions and thoughts on this.
    I am currently a student at Tulane University. We have an area called the laptop station where we can take out computer when we have problems. I have spoken to several people that work for this and they swear that the mac has more virus than windows! They also say that most of the viruses that they have seen are extremely debilitating to the system almost always taking down the whole system permanently. They make us run anti-virus on our personal laptops, not because they don't want our computers to carry windows viruses but because they think that mac can get all kinds of awful viruses. I know their are mac viruses, but I was under the impression that they were mainly proof-of-concept.
    What do you think is going on here? Do you think that they just don't want to have to service macs so they're trying to scare everyone back to windows. or do you think that they're attributing hardware problems and owner stupidity to viruses just to try and create a chink in the students opinion of the mac platform.

What do You think?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are no Mac viruses in the wild. Most likely the support people don't have a clue about Macs or are incompetent.

Since they claim Macs have more viruses, demand proof! They will not have any.

Trojans are possible on Macs, but they require user stupidity - you have to download dodgy stuff and then enter admin password.

"taking down the whole system permanently" HAHAHAHAHA! proof or it doesn't happen.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I think you should demand full tuition reimbursement and change learning institutions. You run the risk of being as stupid as they are.

Ask them to:

A.) Define what they think a virus is and,
    B.) Show you one.

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Sounds like that's where failed comp sci students finds a job.