A Curious Thing...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cfoster1966, Oct 16, 2012.

1. cfoster1966 macrumors newbie

I am a lurker, and not a greatly informed one, who had something curious happen today. I have been waiting for a large chunk of change to arrive so I could buy an iMac. While waiting, I customized the one I wanted with all the upgrades I wanted and shipped it off to my shopping cart in the apple store to sit and wait for the money to come. I checked the cart daily for the last 5 days to make sure it was still there. It always said the same thing "available to ship in 2-4 days". The estimated delivery date stayed at exactly 10 days from whatever day I checked the cart. Today, I finally get the money so when I hit the shopping cart everything has changed. Now the ready to ship dates have changed to 7-10 days and my estimated delivery is into November. I am not real knowledgeable about these kinds of things but I thought it might point to something. Just wanted to share and, now, I will go back to lurking. lol

PS....I still ordered the model available now so I hope I am not horribly upset on the 23rd...lol

2. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

why did u still order it when its almost confirmed (by multiple sources, and urself, in this case) that the new models are coming out very soon?....

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Honestly, If I were you I would cancel that order and wait to see what happens next week. Up to you though. Supply shortages are common when a new model is coming, that may be why your delivery date has been knocked back.

4. cfoster1966 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I don't like to get the first generation anything. Usually too many kinks to work out. Besides, the one I ordered will do just fine for my needs for at least 2 years...when the kinks are worked out. :)

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

So then why not wait for the new model to be released and you can pick up the previous model with significant savings? :confused:

6. poofsgirl, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

poofsgirl macrumors newbie

I been waiting since February to actually pull the trigger and buy our first Mac. As a lurker on this site for months, I was also convinced that I didn't want to buy an "old" model. Finally, they made the announcement and I just was not overly impressed with the rumored updates and rumored higher price, so I caved yesterday and bought a 21.5 refurb until the new iMacs got the "bugs" worked out. Ironically, I hopped on the Apple website today and the model I purchased is no longer available... and I highly doubt I bought the last one, which means a lot of others might have had the same mind set that I did. I am glad that everyone is getting the update they have been waiting for, but on the flip side I am glad I made my decision when they still had some in stock!

Edit to say that I am secretly hoping that I will be one of the lucky ones that gets a few "upgrades" on the refurb... will know Friday.

7. vladfein macrumors regular

Isn't that what he will get?
    You don't think that Apple will charge a full today price for the previous model after the next one is announced?

8. Mad Sativa macrumors member

Good luck with that. "bugs" LOL

9. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

At that point (after new iMac release) the OP could not do upgrades through the Apple store on 2011 models and discounted 2011 iMacs will most likely be base models only.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Fair point, but I do see the 3.4 GHz coming up in the refurbished store quite often in the UK. Although it is only the model with 1 GB of VRAM.

----------

He's just ordered it now and therefore paid full price, unless I missed something. :confused:

11. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    "A Crazy Thing ... "

Buyer's remorse will be visiting you very soon, my friend.

I can't believe you went and ordered it ... now, of all times?!