A Dandy Remote Install Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Seaweedshark, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Seaweedshark macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have signed up here through desperation. I was actually an Apple Tech Support advisor for two years and worked several years for iTunes but I still can't figure this out...

My girlfriend has an iMac, it's optical drive is shot and it is out of warranty. Now, we need to erase and install the OS to get this thing working again as her daughter has bogged it up. The problem is, we can't get the OS disk to read in the drive. I entered the terminal commands to enable "Remote Disk" on the iMac, but for some reason when I option-boot the iMac there is only the HD available, no network or install disk.

I think the problem is that I only enabled the terminal commands that allow remote disk to be used while the OS is running, but when I boot, remote install isn't technically working.

Basically, does anyone have a terminal command that will fix this, or know another workaround that will help us erase and install Snow Leopard on an iMac without an optical drive?

Thanks a bunch.

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I can think of two alternatives:

1) Connect an optical drive to the iMac using either an IDE/SATA -> USB adapter, or perhaps rigging it temporarily to the case of an external hard drive.

2) Copy the OS X installation disc onto a flash drive or hard drive partition. You can Google for instructions.

Good luck!

3. Seaweedshark thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. Will I be able to boot to the flash drive though in order to erase and install the OS?

4. Seaweedshark thread starter macrumors newbie

5. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk