A dark spot in my eyesight

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Evangelion, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Sorry for confusing title, let me explain in a bit more detail.

Now, we all have these things floating in our view. The cause of those is all that stuff that floats in the liquid inside our eyes. They are quite harmless and usually not distracting at all. But I have recently been having one of those spots that is quite distracting indeed.

First things first, it's a small dark spot, considerably darker than usually (usually those floating thingies are next to transparent). Also, it follows my eyesight. It's not right in the middle of my view. But when I see it, I naturally try to focus on it. And as I move my eyes, it moves around accordingly. So it's never in the middle of my sight, and because of that I keep on trying to focus on it.

Now, normally that thing is not an issue at all, but it is an issue when I'm looking at an computer-screen. Especially if the thing I'm looking on the screen is light, like this website I'm looking at right now. Light background makes that spot more visible. It's in my left eye.

Now, since this thing follows my eyesights, could it be a speck of dust that is stuck right in front of the pupil? So maybe a good rinse with water would loosen it? But then again, it survives when I close my eyes, so maybe it's something else?

This thing is really annoying and distracting.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

To make sure it's not a foreign object your best bet is to use some liquid tears on it. They're usually just a pH calibrated saline that won't freak out your eyes as much. You can even make your own 0.9% saline and use that. Sometimes even things stuck on the eyeball can be refractory to blinking. If that doesn't work definitely go to see your doctor. There's an endless list of pathology that could result in your symptoms. But don't stuff around with your eyesight!

3. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the advice :). If I may provide some more details: the dark spot is not a pitch-black area, it is transparent. It's just that as opposed to those normal "thingies" that float in your field of vision, this one is significantly darker. And whereas normally these things float in and out of the eyesight, this one
    seems to be more or less stuck. It does move, but only when I move my eyes.

I have been thinking about going to see a doctor about my eyesight, I have had a feeling that I might need glasses or something, although that is unrelated to this issue. When I talk about my eyesight, I would mention this issue as well.

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I agree with .Andy, that you should consult your local GP. There are a multitude of possible causes that can result in the symptoms you are experiencing.

This needs to be checked by your doctor.

5. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

An opacity at the pupil will not be seen as a spot, rather an overall blurriness. If you're seeing a distinct spot it's either at the retina or the brain. Please go see an eye doctor immediately. I don't know what country you're in, but in general GP's don't know jack about eyes and you'll be referred to someone who actually can help you anyway. You are not going to rinse a retinal issue out of your eye with artificial tears. 99% of the time patients that show up with your symptoms have a posterior vitreous detachment, which, while alarming, is mostly harmless, but the symptoms of a retinal detachment are identical, so we want you to get in ASAP in case you need urgent surgery.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Head to an optometrist, if you have your own, head in asap. Check the phonebook. This can be considered an "emergency" even if only you think it is.

Your local mall has a Lenscrafters probably.

Any eye doctor can quickly give you a diagnosis and allay or possibly enforce any fears you may have.

Googling may seem like a good idea, but you wont be able to google if you cant read!

Take care of your eyes, you only got 2, and having 1 just aint the same! :p

7. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, I'll be heading to a doctor soon, maybe this week. As to this being an acute emergency... I'm not so sure. Like I said, the spot is quite small. With the screen 50cm away from me, it's about the same size as a letter in this textbox. And it's not like the spot obstructs the view or something. It is distracting, sure, but it does not prevent me from seeing things, even things behind the spot.

It's not a "distinct spot". That is, it's not like a solid dark spot that prevents me from seeing behind it. It IS transparent in as such that I can see through it. It also does not have solid borders.

Also, when I say that it moves when I move my eyes, the movement is not "firm". That is, it does not stay in exact same position, relative to my field of vision. Rather it kinda like smoothly glides across my vision, before finally settling to more or less same location it was before.

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

its just another type of "floater" if its moving with the fluid in your eye.

id still be worried if it doesnt look like your typical everyday floaty.

9. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

That's just it: it doesn't look like a typical floater. Usually those drift in and out of sight, but this one doesn't. It seems like it's stuck or something. Like I said, I will propably go see a doctor about my eyesight in any case, and I will probably mention it at the same time, just to see what his opinion is on the matter.

All in all, I don't think it's anything major. Annoying and distracting yes, big deal that will drive me crazy, no. But I will mention it to the doctor, just in case.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I also have floaters and also had a detached retina in my left eye.

The first sign that something was up were the floaters, no biggie, then some months later, a slowly enlarging grayish spot. Like you said, it was somewhat opaque. It slowly grew over time and the retina eventually detached. Had I caught it earlier, it's possible that medication may have prevented total detachment.

Anyway, an optometrist probably isn't going to be able to diagnose your problem. You'll need to see an opthomologist and he'll shine intensely bright lights in your eyes and examine your retina.

Since retinas can detach rather quickly, it's important that you get this looked at immediately. The retina is only loosely attached to the back of the eye and it doesn't take much for it to detach.

The price I paid is a wonky eye. I can more or less read with it but barely and my left eye is permanently pointing left. I'll never have binocular vision again.

The second it starts to grow, get yourself to an emergency opthomologist IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

12. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Bull S&IT!! Any optometrist will be able to diagnose this. I've done it countless times. But they will need to refer you to a surgeon if you need surgery. We optometrists actually do have intensely bright lights at our disposal, you know ;)

But I hope the original poster will have seen a doctor by now, and thank you for posting your experience, most people look for any excuse not to go to a doctor because someone else on the internet had the same symptoms and is fine now ...

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think it's your retina detaching. You're too young for macular degeneration, and besides, I don't think that would lead to a black spot.

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Third on the possible retina detaching.

I had the same thing and it turned out to be retinal detachement...

so it is an emergency - get to eye doctor ASAP.