A Day With My i5 2.4Ghz MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

A few observations after a day w/ my new (stock) MBP:

1) The screen does not seem as bright as my previous "late 2008," and their doesn't appear to be as many usable lighting levels -- it goes from bright to dark fairly quickly. This is 100% subjective on my part, and I might be misremembering my late '08 even after parting ways with it only a few days ago. I remember my '08 absolutely blinding me at the high end. I have to keep this one near the high end or I will go blind.

2) The lighting seems to be more uneven -- the corners are slightly darker. It's also noticeable when you use the calibration tool. You can literally calibrate on part of the screen that would be out of sync with another part. I'm not a graphics geek so it doesn't bother me all that much.

3) The fan seems to always run (about 2000 rpms) but its just a whisper in a quiet room. It would be inaudible in a more public setting or other background noise. Big improvement from my Late '08 whose fans were almost always blaring full speed.

4) It runs colder than previous models. I've owned two other MBPs -- the original '06 and the late '08. Both of those got very warm on the top, esp. the upper left, and unbearable on the bottom. So far the bottom has only gotten warm and top is lukewarm at best.

5) The speed is noticeable in apps like PS3 and transcoding media files. Faaast. Boot speed may be faster, but I can't really feel it -- but the Corsair P128 SSD in my 13" MBP has spoiled me.

6) The new accelerated swiping is a nice touch. I got so use to it w/ the iPhone it felt like hard work to swipe to scroll on my MBP.

7) I'm in the process of calibrating the battery right now, but out of the box battery life is a huge disappointment. I'm doing good to get 4hrs on a full charge with only moderate use. Hopefully this will change once calibration is complete. I'll post an update tonight or tomorrow AM.

7.1) Finished calibrating the battery. I still don't get anything near what Apple claims unless I'm just web browsing. Playing a video from the HD at full brightness I get 3:30. At half brightness it goes up to 4:10. Photoshop at full brightness gets 4:30. Half brightness goes up to 5:00 and change. These were only brief tests -- so just going off what the computer is telling me at that point. I think I'll try and calibrate one more time tomorrow before I make a final conclusion on battery life. I was hoping for maybe 5hrs at full brightness and moderate disk access. Also FYI, my HD is a Seagate 7200.3, not the stock Apple drive.

2. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I wonder if the went with cheaper panels in the non-hires screens, given they're probably expecting that most who care about display quality will be upgrading to the hires options? :confused:

3. DLovett macrumors member

The fan speed was always 2000RPM for MBP's, and on my old 13", it was only audible if you put your ear next to the vents on the back of the machine.

Regarding the brightness adjustments, I reckon your best bet is to wait 10.6.4 or a hotfix. The same problems were had with the 9CC2 screens on the late-09 MBP 13"'s, and 10.6.2 included a fix.

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

What are you doing to calibrate it?

5. snowboarder macrumors 6502

They seem to always go with cheaper everything these days :(

6. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just the Apple calibration tool in the displays control panel. (Expert Mode).

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I meant the battery. Just draining it and recharging it?

8. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

9. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

10. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

Thanks Chupa Chupa,

I bought the same model and waiting for Apple to ship it to me. This is my first Mac that isn't a Hackintosh. I can't wait, I don't expect it to be perfect just better than my past Windows Laptops. Have you put Windows on it? I will be running it with Windows7 virtually a lot (or at least I think I will) for work. I will also be upgrading the HDD to either a SDD or 7200rpm and upgrading the RAM to 8GB soon after. What HDD do u have and do you have the base 4 GB of RAM? Also do you have the HiRes screen?

11. jesso macrumors member

Thanks Chupa for your observations.
    Just wondering how your start up times are compared to the older models... maybe you or someone else has a 09 macbook pro to hand.
    I just picked up my i5 from the store, and one of the first things I did was compare start up times next to my wife's 15 inch 2.53 core 2 duo (integrated graphics).
    Worryingly, her 09 model boots up about 15 seconds faster!
    I suppose it dosn't really matter though... the i5 seems a ton faster opening apps, and the geekbench score is over 1000 higher.... but why does it boot up slower? Anyone have any ideas about that?
    Jesse

12. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Maybe the new screens are indeed darker - I looked at them in the store, indoors, and the screens looked best on max brightness or maybe a notch or two under max. I have my late '08 15" at like half brightness during the day indoors, and just 6-7 notches from lowest at night. Maybe this is partly intentional (energy saving)? The new lo-res 15" and hi-res 15" anti-glare both needed to be bumped almost to max.

I saw 2 different 500GB drives - Hitachi and Seagate 5400rpm ones for in-store displays.

13. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Do you have a glossy screen? I try to keep mine at about half at home but end up plugging it in and turning it all the way up due to relfections : (

14. cartmanaf macrumors newbie

To fix number one in the mean time hold down shift+option then press F1/F2 to get incremental changes in screen brightness

same thing works for volume.

15. neteng101 macrumors 65816

:eek::eek::eek: The things one learns sometimes - thanks for the tip.