A decent UK multicast ADSL router?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applemax, May 17, 2008.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Hi

Has anyone got any good recommendations for a decent mac/xbox/wii compatible router with built in ADSL modem? I currently have a Netgear DG834 so a performance step up would be nice too. No wireless capabilities though, as the DG834 is currently plugged into my AirPort extreme which I can't seem to use as a router for some reason - thanks anyway! :)

2. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

4. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

http://www.bbc.co.uk/multicast/

It can provide live TV streams in very high quality - I'm not sure how to do it though.

5. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Wow, you have the same router as me at the moment... the netgear DG834G v3.... it's quite shocking isn't it, lol. I need a new one, so asking the same question as this dude.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Good plan but your ISP has to support it too and you need to have been invited to participate by the BBC. If you just want to watch live TV online, check out www.zattoo.com - they have versions for all major OSs.

7. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

I have v1! It's even worse! And it's grey! eeww! :p

8. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

My ISP is in the list and I have been invited by the BBC - just need to sort out the router, or whatever is causing the problem - all streams give me error messages like 'URL cannot be found'

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I have the same router, best router I've ever owned. Mogzieee, are you sure yours isn't broken? I will buy an AEBS/Time Capsule at some point but at the moment this is perfect.

Whats wrong with your Airport Extreme + cheap modem? If its broken get it fixed.

10. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

For some reason the only way I can get internet access is by doing this:

[INTERNET] >> [netgear router/modem dg834 (router enabled)] >> [AirPort Extreme] >> [3 AirPort Express/Extreme Repeaters] >> [Macs/Xbox 360/Wii]

Any ideas how I can eliminate the Dg834 and just use it as a modem? Yes, I know how to make it a modem and disable the routing functions, but I cannot get internet this way.

Thanks

11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You need to turn off the router part of the DG834 and enable the router part of the Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme should be able to test itself whether or not it has an internet connection even if your computers say they don't.

Also, try disabling any Firewall or other security settings on the DG834, as the Airport Extreme is also doing those functions.

The final thing I would try is resetting all the settings of both the DG834 and the Airport, using both the Restore Defaults in the configuration pages and doing a hard reset with the reset button in the back. Then do nothing but tell the DG834 to act as a modem and see if it works then.

12. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

how do I enable the AEBS router?