A Dent in My Brand New MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atenhouse, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Atenhouse macrumors newbie

As a result of my own negligence, the part of the case that surrounds the magsafe port has been pushed in as pictured here (Excuse the crappy camera phone picture, I don't have my other camera on hand):

[​IMG]

Thankfully, my MBP still functions perfectly. However, that leads me to another question. Will Apple refuse to repair an unrelated problem because of that dent? I'm pretty concerned, as I don't want that three hundred odd dollar Applecare plan to go to waste as a result. I would really appreciate some input from you guys. Thank you very much.

- Atenhouse.

2. one1 macrumors 65816

The MBP comes apart like a PowerBook (which I have taken apart literally 20 times). It's a cinch to get the keyboard and deck off then use a pair of PADDED pliers to apply pressure and flatten that back out.

It'll solve the problem for good and you won't have to look at it. There's many tutorials on the net about how to get in the machine. Just be careful and don't leave any scratches on the screws to show it was opened by using the proper size driver to remove them.

Apple will deny wty for nearly anything to get out of replacing something in my experience and many others. People are getting rejected for spill damage that have never even spilled anything on their books, so get rid of that dent and don't give them a reason to deny.

3. deggs37 macrumors member

I have saved enough money by not buying warranties to buy another MBP.
    Pretty crappy that Apple hassles you over warranties though.

4. one1 macrumors 65816

It's odd that some people report that Apple treats them like a king and always takes care of them, but there are some REAL horror stories on the other side of the fence. I guess the chances of being taken care of or rejected are as much the chances of buying a MB without issues.

5. airfang macrumors regular

ouch, that dent would have killed me...how did you exactly manage to apply such pressure? Was it resulted from a fall?

6. Atenhouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. :\

It took a foot high dive off of my couch. It landed on the magsafe adapter, which, in turn, created that lovely indentation.

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Poor MBP! Anyway it's good to hear that it survived a feet drop. I've never dropped a laptop before and have always thought that even the slightest knock would kill the thing. Sorry to see that there is a dent in your MBP, but it's still working so I guess you could learn to live with it until your next one :p

Happy New Year!

8. Atenhouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, thank you.

It felt like my heart skipped a beat right after it fell. Anyway, the dent seems like an easy fix, since the case is only bent in one place. It'll drive me bonkers if I leave it as is.

9. iMan G5 macrumors member

Awww man that sucks. When I get my MBP its going to always be in its case, or somewhere charging where I know it is. I really don't want to dent it. :(

10. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Ah man, thats very unlucky - If that was mine, I'd either buy a whole new MBP or just get the bottom bit replaced - You cant have a sexy looking laptop looking like that :D

11. jamesybsu macrumors regular

I dented my powerbook in the corner and apple refused to fix it claiming my problems were comming from the damage to my computer. I of course denied that because it worked fine for like 3-4 months after I dropped it, but I wasnt going to win my agrument. So I bought a MBP instead and sold the PB as is for like 650 bucks. I feel your pain!

12. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Barely Noticed It!! Good to here that it still works fine.:D

13. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I had a similar problem except my huge dent was in the front corner. When I had keyboard problems, CompUSA repaired the keyboard without any questions about the huge dent in the front.

14. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Yikes that's unfortunate, one of the reasons I opted for a MB this time not a MBP. I hate dents, and my old PB had many.

15. calvy macrumors 65816

My first gen 15" Macbook Pro and my previous 12" powerbook both had dents in the case. My MBP got it's first within a month of buying it. I set it under my bed for the night, a remote slipped off the bed, and dinged the lid. It was a huge bummer. But I've just gotten over it. It doesn't bug me like a scratched LCD would or something. And I've had to have my logic board replaced 3 times in this damn machine. I would have been pissed if they'd denied me service due to my dings. They already hate me for the fit I pitch when they try to him haw their way out of covering things.

I'm also trying to talk myself into a 13" screen with the Macbook, as I'm thinking I'm not a good candidate for a metal laptop. And I don't really need the GPU.

16. janibrooke macrumors newbie

dent over cd drive

I bought a macbook pro about 1 1/2 yrs ago and after only a few months of owning it, I noticed a dent over the cd drive. I don't know how it happened, but I think something fell out of my cabinet and hit it. Ever since my cd's get stuck and scratched when I try to use the drive. When it first happened, I took it to the local Apple Store and they said it would cost me $1500 to repair! Of course, it was not under warranty. Is it possible to get the dent out so that the drive will work properly without spending a lot of money? I am in the Boston area.

17. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Be careful from now on. And take out the dent as suggested before using AppleCare.

I dropped two aluminum PowerBooks and one iBook G4 once or twice each, and all three have had logic board failures, and all three denied by AppleCare because of physical damage that they claim caused the logic board failure. Turns out motherboards aren't as robust as one might think... :\ But I guess if something were going to fail, the mobo would be it...

18. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

My MBP has a lot of dents. It fell flat more than a meter once and landed on the bottom. But it still works as well as before the fall. I recently replaced the HDD - not because it was broken, but to get a bigger and faster drive.

19. grifta67 macrumors newbie

I'd like to hear how your repair turned out. My MBP took a tumble in it's computer bag (which I now know has the protection of a potato sack) and it dented pretty decent in the bottom left corner. Everything works fine but I'm also concerned about future warranty issues.

I'm also pretty afraid to open her up and fix the dent myself. Perhaps I'm just a baby but I'm terrified I would ruin something!

20. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

hmmmm well since everyone knows that Apple uses very fragile aluminum it seems like dents are just part of the package you're getting when you buy the machine. I don't see how Apple could deny you coverage over a part that goes wrong over a dent when everyone knows these machines will dent over any little thing...

Then again, computer manufacturers will try to get out of the warranty obligations and make you pay over the littlest thing if they can...so I guess I would try to fix the dent just in case

21. crzdmniac macrumors regular

Ouch... I understand the pain of seeing a damaged MBP.... mine fell out of my car (in the bag) around Christmas time and landed on the only unpadded part; the front left corner. Luckily there was no major internal damage but a big nasty dented corner. I bit the bullet and found a new bottom on ebay for around $80 and replaced it myself. You can't tell it ever happened now, but I'll tell you this, it was not something I would really care to do again, but the end result was definitely worth the effort. You should be able to get it back to normal with some effort. Good luck!

22. PDE macrumors 68020

Very painful to see. Seriously though, just remove the top by following one of the guides at ifixit.com and then bend it back! It doesn't look that bad and once you see what it looks like in there, you'll easily be able to fix this.

Good luck!

23. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

This happened to me: read the thread and solution of my own sorry experiences! I sat on my MBP and made it look like a friggin' banana! :eek:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=338549

Good Luck!

24. r88my macrumors regular

MY MBP fell off a shelf about six foot high :eek: onto carpet and survived albeit with the exact same indentation on the other side where the dvi and ethernet port are (over a year ago). I might try the padded pliers approach as suggested at the top of the thread. They're pretty sturdy these things I tell ya!