A Desktop display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by raymondu999, Nov 20, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Errm... ok, I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct forum. Mods, if it's in the wrong place, my apologies. feel free to move it. So, I'm now on the lookout for a desktop display. I'm not really picky, but I'm looking around the range of 20-24", and preferrably around the same resolutions as ACDs at each respective size eg 20 1680X1050, 24 1920X1200. I'm not pretty sure, but I heard my friend tell me that TFT displays are bad in color reproduction. I don't need superaccurate color, but not too off either, please. Anyone have any suggestions? A cheap, bright display, maybe around 300cd/m at least?

I'm not against buying an ACD, just that I wanted some advice from some experts first on the matter:D

Any help is appreciated.

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

"bad in color reproduction" is a bit of a misnomer. Are you going to be using the monitor for print or video work for mass production?

If not, any modern monitor will suit your needs. I know I'm looking forward to getting the new ACD, but $900 is way too steep.

If you want something a little bit cheaper, look here. Or here.

3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not really. But I'll be creating loads of slideshows, some of which kind of need me to use good color.

4. fxstb2002 macrumors member

Slideshows for what purpose? To be shown on a screen or projected? If projected, what type of projector?

5. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Projected. I'm not exactly sure what kind of projectors they are, though. But let's just say then, that I want a "vivid-looking" display. How's that?

6. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

There is a $500 or more difference between IPS panels and other types. Does "vivid looking display" mean that much to you?

They will all look pretty vivid. One just is better for people who really need to make sure what they are seeing will be what the end user sees. (Down to the hue.)

If that is the case, look at the ACDs or the like. But if you're spending that much money, why not get the ACD?

7. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

ACDs use IPS panels? Ok, I don't want the colors too off, but I don't NEED them to be accurate down to 32-bit realism. How's that? And 'vivid looking'... well.. it's a want and not really a need.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

9. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

What type of hardware do you have? Are you going to buy a notebook/monitor or you already have a computer and want a new screen?

If you don't have anything yet, the iMacs might be of some use to you. The 24" screen has an S-IPS panel and is quite nice.

Otherwise, the $1k price really is prohibitory. The main reason why I like the new ACD is because of the integration with the new laptops. The only reason why I don't buy that is because I have no need for a top of the line IPS panel.

Have you seen the High-Res 17" MBP? That is pretty close to the top IPS panels (I believe.)

The 15" MBPs are also very nice. (What I own.)

10. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

The more vivid the display is. Usually will mean more color inaccuracies.

Some displays have a glossy coat that really makes the colors jump right out off the screen. Nice and bright. But actually will reproduce the colors falsely.

Dell or Samsung are a good middle of the line alternative to the ACD. For general use and amateur photography.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-2408wfp/4505-3174_7-32886455.html

Just stay way from glossy screens. Or low end, no name brands. And you should be fine

If you do professional or commercial film and print work. Then you need to do some homework. On what kind of monitors others are using in your field.

11. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's just that I kind of need a display to attach to my MBP. 15" doesn't quite cut it for me.

12. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Well based on that, I'd offer the following suggestions:

If you don't care what you spend, get the new 24" ACD. It'll match nicely with your MBP and has the IPS panel.

If you want something more reasonable but still with a IPS Panel, go with the 20" ACD.

If you want something nice, but not in the "arm and an leg" price range, This or This.

First first has built in speakers, which I think is awesome since you'll be able to run the laptop in clamshell mode. If you have external speaks, go for the second.

13. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd love to get the 24" ACD, and I'm not really against spending for it, but the more I have in my wallet atm, the better:D. And besides, I have external speakers. I think I'll look into that samsung and viewsonic model.

14. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, in the meantime, any other suggestions?:D

15. Limonade3 macrumors newbie

I've heard good things about the Dell 2408WFP 24" monitor. Supposed to have good color reproduction, and a boat load of inputs. $517 may put it out of your price range...don't know.

Also, the Dell 2309W just came out and is supposed to be pretty good as well, though its a 16x9 instead of 16x10...just like the 2408WFP it has a boatload of inputs and supposedly good color reproduction (though since it was just released there aren't many user reports to corroborate)...

worth a look...I'll probably end up with the 2408WFP myself...

16. six.four macrumors 6502

I say stop pushing for an IPS panel. For what you're doing, it doesn't sound like you need an IPS panel. I think it would do you well if you went out and got a look at a well calibrated TN or PVA panel. To the untrained eye - I doubt you would notice the difference if they weren't sitting next to each other.

As another poster already noted, "vividness" has nothing to do with color reproduction. The glossy screens that apple and other companies have become so fond of enhances contrast (and thus "vividness"), but has no correlation to color accuracy.

Quite frankly, if vividness is what you're looking for, an IPS panel is not the best choice for you - especially on a budget. You can probably find much more "vivid" display on TN panels.

Finally, I'm confused as to how a "vivid" monitor would enhance a slideshow that is being presented on a projector. The two are completely independent of each other and just because your monitor displays "vivid" images does not mean your projector will do the same.

edit: I just have to add - considering how absurdly loaded your systems are (in your sig) I find it amusing that you're on a budget looking for a monitor.

17. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I'm personally a fan of this LG.

It's on sale for $370 and has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio. I just think that is awesome.

My suggestion is to take a look online at some retailers and search. Places like NewEgg or TigerDriect. (NewEgg is better, btw. BestBuy is fine too.

BTW- that is one hell of a MP you've got there. Tell me your using that for more than web surfing.

Maybe he's broke after spending $10k @ Apple. One man recession stopper, huh?

18. six.four macrumors 6502

haha. $10k? more like $20k+ ::cool::

His mac pro alone, without his HD's and without anything else - an 8 core, 32gb, quadro base system, costs $16,349.

even if he purchased all 3rd party upgrades to save money, he would easily be spending over $15k with his MP and MBP.