Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
I'm at the beach right now, I already have small specs of sand in my strap just from the air pushing it there. I don't see how anyone could actually swim in the ocean with one of these things! I can understand clear water but saltwater destroys everything. Whatever, glad I bought Apple care :)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I know some people were really tired of my issues with getting the Garmin fenix 3 watch, but I have to say that it's been awesome.

Oh, and also, the fenix 3 is rated to 10 atmospheres which means roughly 100 meters, or about 328 feet deep. It's plenty 'waterproof', but they do discourage deep water scuba diving, and high velocity water sports.

The idea that something isn't completely waterproof isn't all that hard to understand, at least for me. I've been very reluctant to push any buttons when the fenix is wet, because pushing buttons could allow moisture to get inside. My TAGHeuer watch was good to 300 feet, but you would have to be insane to think that you could loosen the crown and adjust the time at any depth.

And wearing an Apple Watch that I had paid nearly $1,000 for swimming wouldn't be something I would ever want to do. Unless I was really rich, really stupid, or both. Plus it made me wonder since Apple seemed to be hedging in the beginning on the idea of 'water resistance'...

I friend of a guy I used to dive with 'flooded' his Nikonos V dive camera. It seems that he didn't like having his camera serviced, and was on a dive trip to the Caribbean, and Murphy chose his first day to flood the camera due to an o-ring failure. It was a 'live aboard' trip, and he would have forfeit the balance of the trip, and dumped his wife and friends there while he shlepped around to find some place to fix it, so he stowed it, and took it to the local big city dive shop to get it serviced. It had started rusting at that point, and the film was ruined, and it was a mess... His insurance didn't cover it for some reason. So 'waterproof' is more, and less, of what it is... AND your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'm at the beach right now, I already have small specs of sand in my strap just from the air pushing it there. I don't see how anyone could actually swim in the ocean with one of these things! I can understand clear water but saltwater destroys everything. Whatever, glad I bought Apple care :)

Salt water is nasty on anything in the water, but 'fresh' water isn't all that fresh either.

Any oil residue, or other chemicals can wreck havoc on o-rings and seals. It's hard to hide a flooded watch too... They will know where you were when it died. :(

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
But it is guaranteed water resistant, so if you did take it out on any kind of water activity you could just say you showered with it and the resultant fault happened.

Unless there is salt in the water, and whatever else inside the dead watch...

But 'water resistant' is legal mumbo jumbo for 'we mean it's splash resistant, if your arm is what was splashed'. I'd imagine that some people are not going to get any help from Apple for a flooded watch, and some might...

Either way, it's not marketed as a 'dive watch', so getting it really wet isn't a good idea. Plus all the hedging Apple did in the beginning. Makes me wonder...

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Can't you just use a sink? I'm with Rogifan, I don't get wearing watches in the shower.

Soaps, especially shampoos (from what I've heard) have non-ionic surfactants that make water 'slipperier', making seals and o-rings less effective at keeping water (and soap) out of the device. The worst I'd recommend is using a micro fiber cloth, and possibly some clean water to clean the watch, and take the band off to clean the band thoroughly.

My TAG is a 'dive watch', and yet they really advise strongly against wearing it in the shower. The oceans, and lakes (at least so far) aren't contaminated with so much soap to be a bother... Still, rinse anything that has been in the salt water in fresh clean water as soon as you get out of the water.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I've already had my Apple Watch replaced once about a month or so after I had it. I rarely take off my Watch and wear it in the shower each day, but only had this problem once. After washing my hands during the day at a clients, I noticed my Watch wouldn't come back on. Upon further inspection, it looked like water got underneath the screen in the top right corner.

Apple promptly replaced it and it's been fine since. I still wear my watch in the shower and other places, but it happens again I'll have to come to realization that the Apple Watch just isn't on par water resistance wise compared to mechanical watches I've worn in the past.

In case anyone is wondering, below are what a water damaged Apple Watch looks like.

Water ingress can happen due to a manufacturing defect, no different from any other hardware failure. Apple replaced it promptly because they have to honor its IPX7 water resistant claim and can't simply refuse to replace it under the standard warranty.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
OMG first world problems! My ocean swim workout times are all skewed by the fact that I am not actually in the water when I want to press to start my workout. Ohhhh the hummmmmannnnity!!!!!!

This is another reason why I think Apple is the most boring company in the world right now.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I wear mine in the shower from time to time, but always in the pool and the ocean. I just got back from the beach and had it in the ocean. To me, this is a good time to use it b.c I truly am far enough away from my phone and see notifications (at the pool)

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
"Many Apple Watch owners have tested Apple's water resistance claims.."

Brave souls. I salute your quest to push the limits of expensive technology.
I won't even test the Scotch-guard on my sofa.

Unless you have the gold, I bet your couch costed more than the watch. Heck, mine was almost 2k all said and done.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Exactly! I don't spend this much money on a watch to have to keep it on a silk pillow each night. Crappy watches are the ones that can't go near water, and I wouldn't consider the Apple Watch to be crappy. Considering Tim said he wears his in the shower, plus with it being water resistant, I don't hesitate at all to hop in the shower with it.

My old Seiko literally never came off my wrist, and it's been in the ocean/lake/river/pool/etc and has never skipped a beat. I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt with my first issue since it's covered under warranty, but if it happens again I'll lose faith.

He didn't say he gets it wet though. I've showered with a body wrap on my arm because I couldn't get it wet after surgery.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
But it is guaranteed water resistant, so if you did take it out on any kind of water activity you could just say you showered with it and the resultant fault happened.

not really, I'm pretty they know what actual resistance that watch has and if its been, ahem, abused. You think they haven't thought this one through?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
maybe a silly question but how is "up to 30 minutes" calculated? does that mean every time you reach out of the water the 30 minutes start from the beginning?

I'm guessing not. Probably need a full dry out (not sure how long that takes) to reset it.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Exactly! I don't spend this much money on a watch to have to keep it on a silk pillow each night. Crappy watches are the ones that can't go near water, and I wouldn't consider the Apple Watch to be crappy. Considering Tim said he wears his in the shower, plus with it being water resistant, I don't hesitate at all to hop in the shower with it.

My old Seiko literally never came off my wrist, and it's been in the ocean/lake/river/pool/etc and has never skipped a beat. I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt with my first issue since it's covered under warranty, but if it happens again I'll lose faith.

Does your seiko have a microphone and speaker, needs to interact through its screen? Seriously. I can't believe the CRAP we have to hear here.

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
I've worn it 5 times going down our local river on a paddle board or kayak. I've worn it in the pool over ten times. I'm sure something could happen to it, but I haven't had a problem. Either way, I have applecare, so I'm not worried about it. I really like being able to track my activity. After 3 to 5 hours on the river I can burn over 1000 calories.

I do wish the "other" workout was more accurate. Whether I'm kayaking or lifting weights, the heart rate is really inaccurate. When I use the "outside run" workout, it's spot on. I know the watch doesn't know what I'm doing when I'm lifting weights for example, but why is the HR monitor showing 70 bpm when I know I'm over 140.

DSCN9540.JPG DSCN9510.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.