A different firmware question - what motivates you to update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by one1, Sep 27, 2007.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

No flash support, no right click style copy and paste controls, ......no reason to update.

Folks I don't know why everyone is so antsy to UPDATE their firmware the PSP guys are DOWNGRADING their firmware. Happily I might add! Why? Because the hacks are better than the firmware being put out by the manufacturer.... CLUE PHONE.

Until there is a copy paste command and flash support there is nothing appealing in any way that apple can release that will make an update worthwhile.

Step back and look at the big picture....... Apple ball and chain control with no useable new features or a wide open phone with endless hacks. Pretty easy choice.

...............Enough about what I think though, I wanna know what motivates you to update with no real useable freatures involved in the update, and everything to lose if you modded it at all.

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I can care less about flash or copy paste.
    If the update will make my phone run alot smoother and more stable then Im updating.
    Also it has some good new features.
    Noone is forcing you to update if you dont want to.

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Correct and I am not. The question as what motivates YOU to update. I simply gave my opinion on why I choose not to so my perspective was there.

Thanks for your input on why you would. Sounds like good reason :)

4. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I know every user wants different things updated for their iphone.
    With me I'd really like to see MMS support, maybe a feature where you can send a mass text to a select 10-15 people for example without having to do it one by one.

5. cowm007 macrumors regular

I found it to be a rather underwhelming update. Can't justify the loss of 3rd party apps and SIM unlock for iTunes WiFi store and some bug fixes. I just hope they didn't go all out and blocked everything, and it's just a temporary hiccup.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I haven't modded or hacked my phone in any way, so for me the update is a no-brainer. Although it would be cool to have extra stuff on my phone, it's just not worth it to me to risk bricking the phone with a hack that doesn't go along with what Apple is doing. Strict control by Apple of iPhone software and hardware may seem restrictive, but that's what keeps everything on the phone running smoothly. The iPhone is only 3 months old. I'm sure we'll see more features being added by Apple over time.

7. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

The people who are desperately running to update are the blindly faithful Apple fans trying to get one ounce of feeling the the phone is actually getting something they can compare to 99% of other phones on the market.

Baaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh iSheep

8. ahand macrumors member

9. edmartin macrumors member

I guess the simple answer is because not everyone is a singularly focused on just those 2 features. If I drew the line at my #1 "want" it would be serial Bluetooth support and GPS receiver/software combo (or hooked into Google Maps). But that's not the be-all-and-end-all to me as your wants seem to be for you. I knew I wasn't going to get it when I bought the iPhone and I'm not bent out of shape that I don't have it yet. I might never get it on this version of the iPhone. I knew that going in. I'm certainly not going to get righteous and protest an update over it or be unsure why others would bother to update until I got what I think the device needs.

I think there are enough little things in a device as new as this that I choose to upgrade. I really don't care about the WiFi iTunes store but I do like the video-out and wish I had it to plug into my car's DVD screens when my family did our summer road-trip. And I'm happy to get more volume out of the phone receiver. I like portrait viewing of attachments and look forward to a later release that gives me other things in portrait (like the keyboard in places other than Safari). The new shortcuts are pretty slick, too. And I imagine there are bug fixes in there for a variety of little things.

But to each his (or her) own. I made a decision to take the update and for-go any "upside" of 3rd party apps. But frankly, as cool as AppTapp is, there's nothing yet available for apps in it that rocks my world enough to decide against the 1.1.1 update. But that's my decision. Other will decide differently, no doubt. And AppTapp will no doubt come out with an update and we can them each make up our minds about going back to that.