A different GPU issue than any I've seen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by austinjval, Sep 16, 2014.

1. austinjval, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

austinjval macrumors newbie

About 6 weeks ago temperature gauge started giving me warnings that the GPU diode 0 was getting too hot. Usually it gets up to around 260 F. I haven't had any performance issues, but I have to assume this is no bueno. After doing extensive research regarding this issue, I found that most people have had issues caused by their discrete GPU, specifically the AMD Radeon 6750M. This was concerning because that's what my computer has. However I installed Gfxcardstatus and found that the GPU only shows as being excessively hot when using the Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU. The computer never feels hot, and the fans don't seem to help to control the issue, even after using macs fan control to customize the fan settings. I never do any heavy lifting with my computer, and the heat issue persists no matter what applications I have open or what I'm doing. Is this something to be concerned about? Can this kind of heat coming from the GPU damage other components? Is there any kind of fix I could do to help the issue? I know there's a million threads similar to this, but I felt my issue was different enough to warrant a new thread. Both screenshots were taken seconds apart immediately after switching GPUs. Thanks in advance for any advice!

It's a 15" Early 2011 MacBook Pro running 10.9.4.
    2.3 GHz i7
    500gb Apple SSD
    16gb RAM

Attached Files:

2. GWA123 macrumors newbie

I've seen this before. When running on integrated GPU, the system can't read temps from the discrete card, so it just craps out. It is totally superficial and not a concern.

3. austinjval thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks. I figured there's no logical reason it would be that hot when I'm not even using it. I still don't understand why it just started out of nowhere though.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yeah, it's probably an updated app that doesn't know how to deal with it.

Apple cuts all but a minimal amount of trickle power to the dedicated GPU when it's not in use, and temperature sensors are not active.

5. austinjval thread starter macrumors newbie

Not like taking it in early would've changed anything, but I'm thinking those apps were not giving me erroneous information. Today my logicboard crapped out without any prior symptoms (besides the temp warnings). Thank god for directv's protection plan plus. It's only gonna be a $50 fix.

Attached Files: