A different sleep (hibernate) problem involving black screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by littvay, Aug 10, 2011.

1. littvay macrumors member

Dear All

Maybe my search wasn't complete, but I don't think I saw this one yet. Just got my new i7 13" Air. It does the following:

If I let it draw the battery down to the point where it goes to sleep, I can't get it to awaken. Unless I plug in the charger immediately, when I try to wake it I always get a black screen (but weirdly with the backlight on) and it won't respond to anything. Even the closing of the lid does not turn the backlight off. Long-pressing the power button is the only way out. I encountered this on every wake from after it shut down by itself when the battery got down to 0. The one exception was when I immediately grabbed the cord and plugged it in. Then it woke OK.

SMC and PRAM reset did not fix it.

Interestingly I have not encountered any regular wake issues so far. Plugged in or on battery it woke fine every time. This issue only seems to be occurring when the battery is drained completely.

Did anyone see reports of anything similar? Anyone know what could be causing it. I really-really don't want to mess with taking it back and getting a new one. Closest Apple Store is 2 hours away. Not even sure if the Apple stores have the i7 model in stock. Definitely not sure if I can get an exchange on the spot. I don't want to mess with it.

2. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Return it. You spent all that money...if its within 14 days, find some spare time to drive the two hours and get a shiny new one. They won't hold laptops for you, but you can call in advance to see if they have some in stock. Darn things should be working properly out of the box. Why fiddle with it trying god knows how many tips and tricks to resolve your issue when you can just get a new one.

And if you don't do the drive/return and your 14 days pass...and the problem reoccurs (let's say after you fix it), then you will really be pissed. You'll never be happy with your "somethings wrong with it, but I just can't figure it out 1500 laptop."

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You need to set the startup disk to your Mac OSX volume.

Whilst you'd imagine this would automatically be the case, for some reason it isn't. Once I did this, this problem stopped occurring.

System preferences > startup disk

4. littvay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it didn't fix it. Created a different account and it does not happen there. So it must be some software incompatibility issue. Working with Apple in tracking it down.

My money is on InsomniaX (despite the fact that I already uninstalled it). It was messing with sleep in many ways until I cleaned it off. Lets hope it is the case as that is the easiest fix of them all. :)