A Dilemma - iMac Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seancfuller, May 6, 2011.

1. seancfuller macrumors newbie

Hey,

I am sure that this has been answered before, but with the new iMac's released I am in a need of some clear advice. I have a 3 year old white macbook, which I have used to death, upgraded the HDD and Ram and loved it (it was my first Mac. I am now down to my last 15GB of HDD and am thinking now is the time to upgrade...

So the issue is iMac or Macbook Pro? I love the portability of the Macbook Pro but I have an iPad 2 which I can take out with me for email, pictures etc. My idea was to go for a baseline iMac which can then be my central hub. In time I can then consider buying a new laptop (possibly an Air) and use the iMac in the future as a secondary screen?

What would people do? Will the new iMac with Thunderbolt allow it to be a secondary screen (I appreciate the Air hasnt got Thunderbolt yet but all in good time..)?

I will use it for video, photos and storing all my libraries on?

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers,

Sean

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The new iMacs can power external displays but can't be used as screens themselves. Apple took away that feature in this revision.

3. stellardream macrumors member

New iMac can be used as a target display if another device supports Thunderbolt. It's been confirmed by Apple.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Only 27" can support Target Display, not the 21.5" right?

OP, I opened a thread yesterday and we have the same situation almost! I purchased a MBP last night but might buy an iMac just to have at home for heavy tasks (little kids gaming and my gaming haha)