A dirt cheap G5 of my own

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ptdebate, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Well, since picking up my 30" Thunderbolt display, I've been eager to see it operate at full resolution. My flashed FireGL x3 hasn't come in yet, so I haven't been able to test that guy out in my G4 yet. I finally have a whole day off from work, so I decided to look around on craigslist for a G5. And what do you know? A 2.7GHz DP model for only $50! :D

Previously, I wasn't that fond of G5s because they look almost exactly like the Mac Pros that replaced them and stayed basically the same for 6 years. But man, this is a really pretty piece of hardware--especially on the inside.

Now I'm very conflicted. Do I put the FireGL card into my G5, making this the ultimate G5 system (barring the quad, which has issues of its own) or should I use it in the G4, which is awesome in its own right and would probably make it the most powerful single-processor G4 in existence?

Attached Files:

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'd stick it in the G5, although if it's an AGP card it obviously won't fit. The late 2005 G5 uses PCIe.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

A 2.7DP will have AGP

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

My bad, for some reason I thought it was a quad. Yes the 7,3 uses AGP.

----------

OP, I'd stick the card in the G5. You'd have a much more capable machine there.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thunderbolt display?

Is that correct? The 30" display you were talking about in the other thread is a Thunderbolt display?

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's a Cinema Display. Thunderbolt only comes in 27".

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, that's what had me a little confused. I know that our old G4s and G5s can drive 30" displays with the right video card, but other than a DVI to Thunderbolt adapter (does such a thing exist?) I'm not sure how OP would hook a Thunderbolt display up to his FireGL X3 card no matter which Mac he chooses to put the card in.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The 30" requires Dual Link DVI. There's a resolution cap of 1920x1200@60Hz on a single link connection which is fine for the Alu 20"/23" Cinema Displays.

There's an (expensive) Apple adaptor for Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt to Dual Link DVI to allow current Macs to use the 30".

AFAIK you can't convert a Thunderbolt display to anything else. The Thunderbolt port on the Mac is backwards compatible with Mini DisplayPort so you can use 24"/27" Cinema Displays, or adapt it for VGA/DVI/HDMI with older Cinema Displays or third party monitors (like my Dell 24") etc.

9. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Whoops! I meant "Cinema Display." Not sure why I wrote "thunderbolt."

10. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii