Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndolebay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
  • MBP with a "just so so" touch bar, lower battery life, "maybe worse" keyboard.
  • No iMacs.
  • Earpod, delay(again).
  • Minor upgraded iPhone.
  • Too many Emoji upgrades on iOS

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Was 2015 much better? Or even 2014 , with jobs gone, profit has become the number one priority, and if you look at the financials , apple is doing great actually

Reactions: Queen6

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
  • MBP with a "just so so" touch bar, lower battery life, "maybe worse" keyboard.
  • No iMacs.
  • Earpod, delay(again).
  • Minor upgraded iPhone.

I'm guessing you wanted to say disappointing year :)

Anyway - that's a matter of opinion (but I do agree about no iMac upgrades and AirPod delays). But the MBP is great for the majority of users, iPhone 7 only seems minor on the outside (people only seem to notice the looks), but it turns out it's a fantastic upgrade, and I don't understand how the number of Emoji upgrades can disappoint anyone. Who cares about how many Emojis they added? Some people will find them useful, and it's not like this took major Apple resources to do.

For me:

- iOS 10 is a solid upgrade to a great mobile OS
- Watches get faster CPUs across the board, even the S1 models
- New MBPs, while pricey, are great
- iPhone 7/7+ is a great upgrade, and Apple's lead in CPU tech has grown even more
- iPad Pro 9.7 is a solid addition to the amazing Pro line
- Siri comes to the Mac and macOS Sierra is good

I'd say a solid year, all in all.
[doublepost=1481614270][/doublepost]
Was 2015 much better? Or even 2014 , with jobs gone, profit has become the number one priority, and if you look at the financials , apple is doing great actually

Jobs' number one priority was profit.

His number two priority was profit.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
tbMBP - fail
iPhone 7 - 3rd year, same old design. Software wise same as in 2007
Killing off hardware - bye bye old apple, hello fashion apple
iPad - lol
OSX/macOS - killing off features and making it even more iOS-like
Mac Pro, Thunderbolt Display, etc. - RIP

Indeed. A great year for Apple fans. Unless you are a pro and you use your machine to get the actual work done :)

vyruzreaper

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2015
I'm guessing you wanted to say disappointing year :)

Anyway - that's a matter of opinion (but I do agree about no iMac upgrades and AirPod delays). But the MBP is great for the majority of users, iPhone 7 only seems minor on the outside (people only seem to notice the looks), but it turns out it's a fantastic upgrade, and I don't understand how the number of Emoji upgrades can disappoint anyone. Who cares about how many Emojis they added? Some people will find them useful, and it's not like this took major Apple resources to do.

For me:

- iOS 10 is a solid upgrade to a great mobile OS
- Watches get faster CPUs across the board, even the S1 models
- New MBPs, while pricey, are great
- iPhone 7/7+ is a great upgrade, and Apple's lead in CPU tech has grown even more
- iPad Pro 9.7 is a solid addition to the amazing Pro line
- Siri comes to the Mac and macOS Sierra is good

I'd say a solid year, all in all.
[doublepost=1481614270][/doublepost]

Well technically it was to maximize profit.

But his mindset to achieve that profit maximization was different. He focused on the product and unmet needs.

Cook is all about supply chain/ops management prft margins etc.

I actually think Cook is doing a better job at that but the thing is it won't last without innovating your product pipeline. Cook is living on borrowed time buffered by Jobs.

Someone at Apple, listen to your customers. Yeah you got a ton great sales to kick off your tbMBPs, but when there is smoke there is fire. All this sonsense about Batt Life and glitches etc opens the doors for your compitetors.

Doesn't mean Apple will lose or they will suck - might mean less growth from before tho. That hits the shareholders and WS expectations wont be met and stock price will go down blah blah blah.

If you like a Mac, by a Mac. If you don't buy something else. Who cares who makes the product, if it's right for you - then that's all that matters.

Reactions: nnoble

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
tbMBP - fail

Nope.

iOS 10 is the same as iOS in 2007? Yeah, right.

iPad - lol

Literally the best stylus on the market for artists, already used by major illustrators across the world, one of the best products Apple made. Yeah, "lol" indeed.

Troll much?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
disappointing year for most people in general.

Amen to that :)
[doublepost=1481616964][/doublepost]

I'll reming you of this post in few months when the Mac Pro with Vega GPU comes one.

Indeed. A great year for Apple fans. Unless you are a pro and you use your machine to get the actual work done :)

I can't imagine a better machine to do work on than the new MBP. Best in-class performance, great battery, unparalleled extensibility and all that with excellent portability.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

IndigoDesign

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Truly disappointing yes. But I see it from another perspective.

Back in the day when I started my Business (2009) I got a Core2Duo Black Macbook for around 1200 back then. It served me well way into 2012. It was no racecar but fast enough for Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. In its lifespan I changed the battery 2 times myself (89 each). You could do that. I also upgraded the RAM to a whopping 4 GB (for only 60) and, even if only SATA II Conector I got a 256 GB SSD from crucial and upgraded that as well (115 at that time). Gave me around 250 read/200 write, which is still faster than the common spinning laptop hard disks at that time.

The Laptop never let me down and I actually had to stop using it as my main device when it won't upgrade to the latest OSX anymore and Adobe wouldn't support older OSX's with their upgrades. Then sometime in 2014 while using it as a secondary device, the heat-paste melted or broke off and it would overheat quite regularily going into beachball-mode under load. I still managed to sell a worn and defect black Macbook for 200 on eBay. Awesome value.

So in late 2012 I bought the best computer, best bang for your buck I ever had and still use daily to earn my money with it. The mythical mac mini late 2012, Quadcore 2,6 GHz Haswell, 1 TB Fusion Drive, 8 GB Ram (on purpose as I knew I could upgrade later). Bought it for 1100. I use this thing now solid 4 years, going into my fifth. At one point I had a hardware failure in the "spinning harddisk"-part of the Fusiondrive. At that point I decided to open it up, clean it (dust), slap in the fastest 16 GB of Ram (85) it would take and upgrade it with a Samsung Evo Pro 512 GB SSD (199)and as a data-dump for time-machine a very fast 7.200 spinner (HGST) with 1 TB. All of that was done within half an hour.

Why do I tell you all of this?

Future-Proofing.

It's sad to see that there is NO mac mini I could buy in 2016 that's faster than what I have. Heck I can be lucky if it's half as fast. And it's twice as expensive with similar spec non upgradeable. Same goes for the laptop. Everything there is now is THINNER. I don't mind the port situation. I can adapt (literally, ha). But I don't want the TB. The battery life and other issues don't scream "value" to me. So for a top spec 13" without TB (i7/16 Gig/512 SSD) I'd pay 2.500 where I live. For a good third less of performance. (Sure I gain portability, but the "dock it and use it as main machine"-solution is out of the question. The 15" (even though I don't want the TB if my life depended on it) would run around 3.200 in the spec I need it. I can't upgrade. I can't repair or replace a failing hard drive. If the battery dies, I have to send the whole thing in to basically get all the innards replaced.

Sorry. But this doesn't make any sense. Also can you imagine the resale value 4-5 years down the line, when the battery is dead and there is NO way anyone could fix it themselves?

So many of you rant about future proofing and that it is about 16 gigs of Ram VS 32 gigs. While I agree that I'd love to have 32 instead of 16. It's only part of the whole picture. All current Apple products, with no exception, have an artificially inflated price and only perceived value. None of that will matter to you if you have money to burn sure. But I am a small business and I have to calculate and stand for every purchase I make.

The mac mini late 2012 was TREMENDOUS value. So was the black Macbook. It was a "consumer product" but I still could do "pro" stuff on it as for it's time it was fast and the OSX's were more lightweight than today.
If I'd shell out that kind of money for the current MBPs I a) expect them to run smoothly and perfectly (which in many cases they don't) b) offer superior performance to what I have (which is barely the case) c) hold their value over years (which I don't believe they will) d) i see constant updates to their ecosystem further improving my workflow (which they don't. They pretty much rest on their laurels of the really solid OS they have, but most updates are for convenience or emojis).

Oh yeah and "one more thing"... remember when they switched to FREE OS-updates. LOL. With their new pricing, you're paying for your OS quadruple.

Fazit: If they're asking that kind of money for a device, they better make sure there is not ONE thing I got to worry about the coming 5 years down the road. Unfortunately I don't see that. Let's hope for a worthwile iMac update, I have my doubts though.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
iOS 10 is the same as iOS in 2007? Yeah, right.

Row of icons, page after page. No smart dial, a 'small' thing that even phones from the 90s had. Photos app is still useless crap, you can't even organise your photos by folders. Another thing every other phone has.

No major upgrade at all. Phone app is the same, photos app is the same, mail app is the same, almost all productivity apple apps are the same. Just design 'updates'. And of course - emojis.

Literally the best stylus on the market for artists, already used by major illustrators across the world, one of the best products Apple made. Yeah, "lol" indeed.

Best stylus? Major illustrators across the world? :)))))
I will mention just a few 'small' details here. Everything I wrote about iOS implies here as well. But tenfold, since iPad should be a productivity device. But instead you get large set of icons, a stylus, and put a pro name in there. Fanboys will love it. And they (you) do.

But it's a shame a rest of the world does not, since the sales are declining from 2013 till this date. And they will continue to decline. You know why? Coz it's one of the best apple products ever :D

Troll much?

Nahh... Just writing my own opinion on the matter. You can of course disagree, and write your own. But instead you came with 'Troll much?'. Deep, deep.... :)

[doublepost=1481619185][/doublepost]
I can't imagine a better machine to do work on than the new MBP. Best in-class performance, great battery, unparalleled extensibility and all that with excellent portability.

On the bolded part I agree with you. On battery part I dont, since new tb MBP 15 has worse battery then older rMBP. Best in class performance? Compared to what? Unparalleled extensibility? You can't even connect it to iPhone/iPad without buying extra cables or dongles.

It's ok to love the device, everyone has their own preferences. But don't be a complete fanboy :)

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
tbMBP - fail
Killing off hardware - bye bye old apple, hello fashion apple
iPad - lol

Innovation by a thousand tweaks. It's what they do now. They'll tell you that the laptop and the iPhone have approached their platonic, ideal forms. So no further fundamental redesigns are necessary. All that's left, then, is to tweak.
The iPhone 7s will look just like the 6, 6s, and 7 . I'm pretty sure of it.

The thing is, we all think Apple's lost the "it" factor. But no one has produced better laptops and phones than them, for the mainstream public. It's on the competition to beat them. I think it's starting to happen, but until it does, there's not a lot that we can complain about legitimately. Because we have no other choices. And by choices I mean, would I want another 5k display from another brand? No support, no returns, etc. I would likely find the dpi scaling is off, and various peripherals don't work properly. Same with windows dpi scaling, etc. Standby battery life. Malware. Less feature-rich apps for the Android version, etc. The list is getting more trivial, but overall the experience is still better in Apple's world for anyone who is remotely picky/discerning, however you want to phrase it. As soon as it's not, I'm gone. I have no loyalty and no desire to fork over the large chunks of cash that it takes. But I'm convinced that it saves me money over the long-term. Make no mistake, though, I'm not happy about it, as to me it seems that it shouldn't cost this much money to find a notebook with a good trackpad.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

If your number one and two priorities you get what we have now, Tim "Ballmer" Cook. Do some research, Ballmer got Microsoft record profits.

I suggest you do some research on Jobs if you think it was all profit .....

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
On the bolded part I agree with you. On battery part I dont, since new tb MBP 15 has worse battery then older rMBP. Best in class performance? Compared to what? Unparalleled extensibility? You can't even connect it to iPhone/iPad without buying extra cables or dongles.

Just in order of your questions: best-in-class overall performance compared to all portable work laptops (at any price range). Things like Dell XPS, MS Surface etc. This thing even rivals workstation laptops that are twice as heavy. The battery life is better than the last model, all benchmarks show that clearly. That some people experience less then stellar battery performance is obviously a software problem, either a bug in OS X or an issue with their software configuration. Extensibility: you get 16 external PCI-E 3.0 lanes. You can literally connect this thing to a dozen of high-performance RAID enclosures at full speed. No other laptop — and barely any ready-made desktop even — has that adaptability.
[doublepost=1481620994][/doublepost]
Future-Proofing.

Sorry friend, the tech has moved on. We are living in an era where hardware integration has gone even further. We are now using soldered-on RAM, because its more efficient and reliable than socketed RAM (and not to mention that these model come with hardware max preinstalled, so questions of upgradeability are moot). I am not a big fan of soldered-on SSD, that is true, but using that allows Apple to offer essentially fastest storage currently on the market, as fast or faster than professional PCI-E SSDs.

As to the lack of Mac Mini updates, well, the CPU tech hasn't moved that much on yet, so releasing new Mac Minis wouldn't serve much purpose. We already saw that going from Haswell to Skylake on the laptops brough very little in terms of CPU performance. I know you are disappointed by the lack of upgrades, but imagine the reaction if Apple releases new Mac Mini that offers the same performance as the old one. I assume that Apple is waiting on the Kaby Lake to make it at least a little bit more worthwhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zirel

IndigoDesign

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Just in order of your questions: best-in-class overall performance compared to all portable work laptops (at any price range). Things like Dell XPS, MS Surface etc. This thing even rivals workstation laptops that are twice as heavy. The battery life is better than the last model, all benchmarks show that clearly. That some people experience less then stellar battery performance is obviously a software problem, either a bug in OS X or an issue with their software configuration. Extensibility: you get 16 external PCI-E 3.0 lanes. You can literally connect this thing to a dozen of high-performance RAID enclosures at full speed. No other laptop — and barely any ready-made desktop even — has that adaptability.
[doublepost=1481620994][/doublepost]

Sorry friend, the tech has moved on. We are living in an era where hardware integration has gone even further. We are now using soldered-on RAM, because its more efficient and reliable than socketed RAM (and not to mention that these model come with hardware max preinstalled, so questions of upgradeability are moot). I am not a big fan of soldered-on SSD, that is true, but using that allows Apple to offer essentially fastest storage currently on the market, as fast or faster than professional PCI-E SSDs.

As to the lack of Mac Mini updates, well, the CPU tech hasn't moved that much on yet, so releasing new Mac Minis wouldn't serve much purpose. We already saw that going from Haswell to Skylake on the laptops brough very little in terms of CPU performance. I know you are disappointed by the lack of upgrades, but imagine the reaction if Apple releases new Mac Mini that offers the same performance as the old one. I assume that Apple is waiting on the Kaby Lake to make it at least a little bit more worthwhile.

Dell XPS 15 - if you go with the huge battery and the FULL HD screen you get around 12 to 14 hours of battery. SSD and Ram are upgradeable (Ram up to 32 GB of Ram) also it has a capable integrated Nvidia GPU.

Socketed Ram is thicker, that is all. There is no benefit in energy consumption, power or heat distribution when using soldered on Ram. The only two reasons to use soldered on Ram is to obsolete a product early and make a device thinner.

Upcoming (january) Samsung Evo M2 NVME MLC SSDs perform on the level of the new MBPs maybe even faster. It has nothing to do with it being soldered in and will be available for all M2 slots.

Also on the mac mini you don't get my point. They actually made the mac mini LESS powerful on purpose (no more quadcore, no more i7, only i5 dualcores), less upgradeable (with no reason since the chassis hasn't changed) and double as expensive (because why the f not). This has nothing to do with the jump from Haswell to Skylake or Kabylake.

Reactions: c0ppo and Queen6

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Dell XPS 15 - if you go with the huge battery and the FULL HD screen you get around 12 to 14 hours of battery. SSD and Ram are upgradeable (Ram up to 32 GB of Ram) also it has a capable integrated Nvidia GPU.

Socketed Ram is thicker, that is all. There is no benefit in energy consumption, power or heat distribution when using soldered on Ram. The only two reasons to use soldered on Ram is to obsolete a product early and make a device thinner.

Upcoming (january) Samsung Evo M2 NVME MLC SSDs perform on the level of the new MBPs maybe even faster. It has nothing to do with it being soldered in and will be available for all M2 slots.

Also on the mac mini you don't get my point. They actually made the mac mini LESS powerful on purpose (no more quadcore, no more i7, only i5 dualcores), less upgradeable (with no reason since the chassis hasn't changed) and double as expensive (because why the f not). This has nothing to do with the jump from Haswell to Skylake or Kabylake.

There were engineering reasons for the Mac mini to get the quad core in a couple of generations. The quad was on the same socket as the dual core for two Intel generations of the mobile chips, Intel changed that and it was no longer an easy thing for Apple to put in the mini that simple really.

IndigoDesign

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
There were engineering reasons for the Mac mini to get the quad core in a couple of generations. The quad was on the same socket as the dual core for two Intel generations of the mobile chips, Intel changed that and it was no longer an easy thing for Apple to put in the mini that simple really.

Not having researched this myself I'll take your word for it. Still... raise the price while bottom-line-offering slightly above 50% performance of older models? Seems odd.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Not having researched this myself I'll take your word for it. Still... raise the price while bottom-line-offering slightly above 50% performance of older models? Seems odd.

Hey I was just explaining the change. Apples pricing is a law unto itself and always has been that's the price you pay for using their devices it's hardly a secret after all.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
  • No iMacs.
  • Earpod, delay(again).
  • Minor upgraded iPhone.
It's been a pretty good year for me:

I'm delighted there were no iMacs as it justifies my decision to buy one in August ;)
MBP isn't a machine I'm interested in, but was happy with the rMB refresh
I've got plenty of bluetooth headphones
I got an SE which is the perfect phone for me
Why would I be upset about the number of emoji upgrades - it's something that has no relevance to me, but it's not something I would stress about!

I think I've spent more on Apple gear this year than I have for quite a few years as a lot of my stuff was due replacement and I've been delighted with every purchase

Reactions: nnoble

IndigoDesign

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Hey I was just explaining the change. Apples pricing is a law unto itself and always has been that's the price you pay for using their devices it's hardly a secret after all.

Macs have always been expensive. True. For me it was the "admission" needed to pay to get rid of Windows. I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with randomly increased prices for NO new features. For example like they did with the hugely outdated Mac Pro. It's just 500 Euros more expensive in it's base config for no reason. Tech from 2013. That's just bull.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Lets not compare apples an oranges here please. Yes, HiDPI displays consume more energy. And the FHD display is vasty inferior in its technical characteristics (color space, brightness etc.). The HiDPI display on the XPS kills the battery life, and thats it.

Soldered-on LPDDR3 RAM has significantly lower energy consumption than the DDR3/DDR4 with the same performance. Also, reliability: the mechanical connection on SO-DIMMS is an additional point of failure. RAM slots need to be configured with tolerances in mind, as compatible RAM chips are slightly different in their characteristics. Soldered-on systems can optimise their power delivery etc. with one specific chip in mind, resulting in more efficient and reliable operation.

Are you talking about the 960 series? Its difficult to judge because I haven't seen comparable benchmarks on both, but the SSDs in the MBP seem faster.

I don't really get the double as expensive bit (the low-tier actually got $100 cheaper), but ok, I did misunderstand your post. The i7 CPUs are available as optional upgrades btw, as they have always been. Its a shame that quad core models have been dropped though, I agree.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
  • No iMacs.
  • Earpod, delay(again).
  • Minor upgraded iPhone.
You really put in EarPods as being a bad year? Worst product design that should be discontinued before it even launches. Hanging tampon out of your ears make it a good year for you?
too many emojis make it a bad year for you too? I guess we all care about different things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.