A disappointing day for the MacBook Air. When will we see rev 3,1?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Scottsdale, Oct 20, 2009.

  1. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #1
    I am really frustrated to not see a new MacBook Air today. I truly believed we were finally going to see v 3,1 (a real rev C). The really SAD part of today was that no new GPUs were discovered in the MacBook, Mac mini, and iMac. Nothing that would tell us how Apple plans to move forward with graphics in the MBA. Nothing to tell us what to expect for CPUs. Nothing to tell us when the next MBA will happen. It does seem fairly clear that this will be Apple's lineup for the holiday season. For iMac buyers, the day was pretty good with a nice LED upgrade to 27" and Quad-Core FINALLY. But every other Mac was really left behind. The Magic Mouse is perhaps the best updated product today for everyone else.

    I wonder what this means for Apple's next round of MBP and MBA updates? This gives us no clue which direction Apple is going to go with graphics in the next MBA. Will we be getting an Arrandale CPU with Intel integrated graphics? Or will Apple give us dedicated graphics even in the MBA?

    I was hopeful that even if the MBA didn't see an update today that we would learn the direction Apple was going with graphics. Instead we see the exact same 9400m GPU. Nvidia was supposedly done with the GPU/chipset business as reported a few weeks ago. So how does this play out?

    I guess this probably means that it will be some time before we learn what way Apple is going. I had even figured to see MBP updates today with new graphics in those as well. I figured Apple wouldn't want just the MBA and MBP left behind with inferior 9400m graphics.

    I think we should all be prepared for a long haul now. Apple is going to need to figure out how to move forward with graphics/chipsets/GPUs after the 9400m. With Nvidia getting out of the game, Apple decided to utilize the 9400m one last round instead of moving forward towards the future. Apple has stuck with the 9400m for too long now. This was prime time to move forward... oh well.

    Arrandale is scheduled for January release, but I wouldn't count on a new MBP or MBA anytime around then. Apple will be focused on the iPad (tablet) device. Apple will also still be determining how to migrate to Intel and sell to all of us how the Intel integrated graphics at half the performance of a 9400m is a step forward... and not three steps back.

    The worst part is the MacBook is the number one selling Mac, and sales will be up for it with the latest minimal updates. And the majority of Mac users will be delighted with the iMac updates. So where does that leave us MacBook Air fans? What do we have to look forward to? Will it be a full year before Apple updates the MBA and figures out how to "down-sell" us the Intel integrated graphics? Or does Apple have an Ace in the hole ready for the MBPs and MBAs? Will it be integrated or dedicated in the MBA? When do you expect the update?

    Is there any way possible Apple updates the MBA before the holidays? Am I missing a critical piece of information? Finally, the MB didn't take the step towards the MBA form factor as I suggested and anticipated, did Apple do this to further the MacBook Air's future so the MB wouldn't "take over" the MBA's form factor and role in the Mac notebook lineup? Perhaps this means the MBA will be around for a few more years... I guess that could be the positive "read between the lines" news for the MBA today.

    What a disappointing day. I just believed Apple was going to lead us all down a new path of graphics if nothing else today... how disappointing and frustrating to be a MacBook Air fan waiting for an update since last October when rev 2,1 was released.

    Do any of you other MBA fans feel as frustrated as I am today? Was I really so far off in thinking the MBA was going to jump to v 3,1 today?
     
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #2
    Ooops you were wrong. There was little evidence to suggest the MacBook Air was going to be updated today. I understand your disappointment, while at the same time feel that you are possibly a bit too self-centered.

    They Updated:
    Mac mini
    Mac mini Snow Leopard Server
    MacBook
    iMac

    They Didn't Update:
    MacBook Pro
    MacBook Air
    Mac Pro
    Xserve

    That's half (or nearly half) their product line-up. There were fairly significant upgrades. The rest of this thread has been posted by you and others all over the subsection, and no, Apple's stock is not going to drop because of the lack of MacBook Air.

    I mean, Apple has left Mac mini fans with a lot more anger to be desired.
     
  3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    Location:
    The good side of the grass.
    #3
    It was just updated. My rev. B isn't even a tear old and already there's a rev. c.

    Give it a while. Jan. sounds about right.
     
  4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
  5. RichardF macrumors 6502a

    RichardF

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #5
    Same here: I also was hoping they'd improve the MBA in the short term. So the refresh came (today) but no joy for the MBA.

    This being said, if we are to assume Apple is going to use integrated GPU, I'd rather get the current MBA. They could also surprise everyone and use their own chips.

    As some of you know, I sold both my Rev A MBA and my SR 15" MBA recently pending the upcoming refresh.

    Now I don't think we won't see a MBA refresh anytime soon.

    I am itching to go and get the current MBA. For me it'd be going from the Rev A which I sold to the current one. With its current life-cycle position, the problems have been addressed presumably (hinge, over-heating, LCD horizontal lines etc.). So it would not be a bad purchase, just not as bombastic as I would have liked. I wish they'd just upgraded the RAM to 4GB in the MBA today. Oh well...


    You still think we will see an upgrade in Jan? Could you please tell us why?
     
  6. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #6
    The thing for me is I feel the high-end model still hasn't been released. Other ultraportables now have 256 GB SSDs and 4 GB RAM. The MacBook Air is falling behind and fast.

    Noticed too that Adamo XPS is coming soon, and the original Adamos got an upgrade to the same SL9600 2.13 GHz the MBA uses. But they're paired with 256 GB SSDs and 4 GB RAM. Same thing going on with Sony with RAM and larger SSDs.

    I just feel like Apple was "waiting" on a component to release it, but in the meantime other ultraportables are passing the MBA by. Look at Adamo XPS is 9.9 mm tall, beating the MBA by half its height or more. Weight of Sony's new ultraportable is 1.6 lbs.

    The MBA is still a great value at $1799, but what about those of us who are gladly willing to pay $2500 for a 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM? What about those who refuse to buy an MBA because of its RAM limitations? Apple is missing out on a lot of sales by its unwillingness to compete on a higher level and simply destroy the competition. Apple does this far too often, and in times of economic struggle, usually companies are more innovative and update more frequently to keep sales up and a reason for buyers to keep buying. Look at those of us with v 2,1 MBAs. Most of us would gladly upgrade to a 256 GB SSD with 4 GB RAM and not a single other change to the form factor. We just want what's on the market now in other ultraportables.
     
  7. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #7
    So every day except for 1 or 2 days in the year is a disappointing day for the MacBook Air?

    What about the days people actually use their computers?
     
  8. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #8


    I don't feel like it will come in January. It either comes before December or not until March at earliest. The iPad is slated for January. The MBA and MBP will need completely new graphics if they go Arrandale, and that's guaranteed in Q1 2010.

    I would gladly upgrade now to the same Penryn CPU and Nvidia 9400m if it just had a 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM.

    I really feel that it will take Apple some time to determine which way to go with graphics. That's why an update before Arrandale made all the sense in the world to capitalize on pairing Penryn with Nvidia chipsets/GPUs one last time.

    Oh well. I am going to turn off the ideas in my brain about a new MBA and go forward with the Runcore SSD I have on the way for my MBA. I will keep you all posted with a full review when I get it installed.
     
  9. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #9
    I'm glad they didn't update the air... that means I'm not in line at the Apple Store buying a new system again :rolleyes:
     
  10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

    entatlrg

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Location:
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    #10
    Agreed, and enough already on the little MBA ... I mean it's not old by any stretch, it does what it was 'intended' to do perfectly.

    If you need more performance Scottsdale, although daily you say you don't because the MBA is a 'desktop replacement' ... then get a 13" MBP and problem solved.

    I mean the only real difference or benefit from the MBA is the weight, if weight is your primary concern of course get the MBA ... otherwise the 13" MBP is a great machine suiting everyone's needs 'already' ...

    May/June 2010 is when we'll see an update to the MBA I'd guess ... there's no need for Apple to do it sooner .. business is booming for them, their next product the iTablet will likely be announced in January, give it a few months after that for the excitement to calm down and Apple will then introduced their refreshed MacBook Pro's and Air.....
     
  11. wdropo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2004
    #11
    I share everyone's frustration, especially Scottsdale's.

    Seems clear to me that Apple is taking care and strengthening its lower-end products going into the Holiday season, which makes sense in our current economy. Right now, they are pushing value to consumers.

    High end can clearly wait, according to Apple.

    I think this makes sense for the Apple brand and P and L.

    I think it will also benefit us when things turn around in the world. More innovation in the higher end soon.
     
  12. adamjackson macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    #12
    I'm actually very happy with my current 2.13Ghz MacBook Air. It's fast for everything I need it for.

    I will be selling my 17" 3.06Ghz MBP and getting a 27" iMac instead. I'm excited about that. the MBA is my primary machine for on the go now.
     
  13. RichardF macrumors 6502a

    RichardF

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #13

    Say, do you use it plugged into your LCD TV?
    Mine has a native resolution of 1366x768.
    I'd do that: playing back a 720p file in VLC or via the built-in Media Player in Airfoil.

    How would the current MBA 2.13GHz handle that type of load?

    Anyone could please answer this? I need to know before I go out and get one.

    I don't care about Flash playback. I never go to YouTube. And for those with problems with that, check a Safari plugin called ClickToFlash.
     
  14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #14
    Some of us are frustrated at...nvm.

    The MacBook Air was revolutionary when it came out, but it's not as if Apple is staying on top of any market really. Constantly computers come out with better specs at lower prices, Apple still sells in record fashion. Unlike every other company, Apple doesn't respond - they innovate. Or they steal little developers tech/buy them out and rebrand it in a larger package.
     
  15. stoconnell macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Location:
    Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
    #15
    The direction that Apple takes for its chipset of choice across the entire notebook line will be most interesting in light of the whole NVIDIA-Intel legal dispute/foolishness. I am guessing whatever form it will take will first be broadcast on its top-of-line aluminum family. Assuming the previous statement doesn't exclusively mean the MacBook Pro line, this next MacBook Air will be the "real rev c" (MacbookAir3,1). It's possible that Apple could again use the MacBook Air as a technology testbed, but they seem to have been doing wholesale updates among product bands of late. I guess we live in "exciting times".
     
  16. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #16
    Since about March of this year MacBook Air lovers have strongly desired an MBA with a 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM. I guess all the sudden, everyone is happy with the same status quo that we have essentially had since LAST OCTOBER. Remember it was a FULL YEAR ago when the MBA was updated to v 2,1.

    I was happy with the extremely minor bump in June BUT more so the HUGE price cut that it included for the time being. I always assumed a high-end MBA was on the way. I am willing to pay the money, but like everyone REALLY WANT 4 GB RAM for better performance and 256 GB SSD for drive space. I don't even need an updated GPU or CPU. I think this is a fair enough desire at this time given all the other ultraportables that have such!
     
  17. RichardF macrumors 6502a

    RichardF

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #17
    Scottsdale: how is 720p playback on the 2.13GHz 128GB SSD MBA with a LCD TV plugged into it?

    If NVDIA can no longer work on/ produce the 9400m GPU, how does Apple still have access to them: inventory alone?
     
  18. wdropo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2004
    #18
    Yeah....I know....
     
  19. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    Location:
    The good side of the grass.
    #19
    How would you get 256GB in the Air? 1.8" drives with that kind of capacity would cost a bloody fortune.

    RAM is easy though.
     
  20. reptiledude4 macrumors member

    reptiledude4

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    #20
    He already stated that he would pay $2500 (in your words, a "fortune). I know I would happily pay $3000 for one. Hell, I remember when I paid $3000 for a 64 GB SSD.
     
  21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    Location:
    The good side of the grass.
    #21
    $2500 for the drive alone? So that would bring the cost of what you see right now to around $4k? Conservative estimate.
    Apple would sell ...... mmm, two??

    If they make the drive and you need it so bad, buy it and put it in your MBA yourself. It's not brain surgery or anything.

    It is kind of ridiculous they don't upgrade the RAM though. The 1G sticks are the same form as the 2G sticks so there'd be minimal cost.
     
  22. stoconnell macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Location:
    Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
    #22
    The injunction/legal issues/self-imposed moratorium cover new chipset development for the new Arrandale family of processors and does not affect existing chipsets paired with the current generation of Core 2 Duo CPUS (though, I suspect it puts some form of cap on the life time of the entire line up of Apple products using the 9400M chipset).
     
  23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #23
    I disagree with NC MacGuy, iThink Apple would sell three at the price point. You have to understand, and still haven't responded, that Apple doesn't respond to competition, especially because the first Adamo was a huge flop.
     
  24. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #24
    I expect to pay $2499, but I would happily pay over $4k for my "dream" MBA...

    2.13 GHz CPU
    ATI dedicated graphics/heck the 9400m would do
    256 GB SSD
    two RAM slots up to 8 GB (will pay extra $800 for RAM itself)
    OLED display
    glass trackpad
    5-hour battery

    I would pay for every BTO option available too. Gladly pay Apple $5k honestly. I care more about options than price. I makeup the price in a few days of consulting - it's a work tool that I use 8 hours per day.

    And to NC Mac Guy, there were two 1.8" SSDs of 256 GB space available by third quarter 2009. AND, other ultraportables have 256 GB SSDs. The new Adamo is only 9.9 mm and has a 256 GB SSD option. Look at Sony's and Lenovo's ultraportables in addition to the older Adamo which now competes nicely with MBA as it now sports an SL9600 2.13 GHz C2D. The others ALL have 4 GB RAM option too.

    The point is we have been stuck with MBA v 2,1 for a full year and the MBA should compete with other ultraportables that are flying by the MBA. The MBA is priced near bottom but does that make any sense in the world??? The majority of the professors and consultants I work with wouldn't think twice about dropping $3500 or more on a high end MBA. Apple is missing the mark with the MBA, again. Here is a wonderful opportunity and Apple fails to cash in dumping the originals and now not competing with other ultraportables on power and capabilities.
     

Share This Page