A dock for syncing and charging?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Evangelion, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I'm looking to get an iPod dock. But there's one thing that I want: The Apple universal dock dock will charge and sync the iPod. Unless the dock is not attached to a computer. In that case I could still charge the iPod if I had a iPod power adapter, but that would mean extra hassle with cables an such.

What I want is a dock that will charge the iPod no matter if there's a compuer connected or not, and it will also (of course) sync the iPod if there is a computer connected. And it needs to be able to do that without having to mess around with cables (apart from the cable connecting it to the computer of course).

In short: the dock would be constantly plugged in to a power-outlet, making it possible to sync the iPod no matter what. It would also be occasionally connected to a computer, letting me sync the iPod as well. and while it would be connected to the computer, it would also be connected to the power-outlet.

Does such a dock exist?

2. turcotte44 macrumors newbie

You could try and get a hold of one of the old firewire apple power bricks, and get a firwire/usb apple cable. That way you plug the usb into the computer and the firewire into the wall to charge.

3. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Hmmm, I would prefer a new dock, instead of old secondhand dock....

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

all you need is the older cable and FW brick....you can than attach that to a brand new shiny ipod dock of your choice

5. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah but.... The Apple Universal Dock (for example) has these plugs: Line out, iPod connector and S-video out. How would I connect that dock to the FW powerbrick and the computer at the same time? You can't. I would have to shuffle cables around. And if I'm willing to do that, I might as well get a brand-new iPod powerbrick.

The idea is that the dock would not be touched at all. I could charge the iPod on it at any time, by simply putting the iPod in the dock. If I wanted to sync, I would just put my laptop next to it, and plug the dock to the laptop. But as things are right now, I would ave to disconnect the powerbrick from the dock, and connect the laptop-cable both to the dock and to the laptop.

EDIT: Just checked. The cable has iPod connector on one end, and both FW and USB-connectors on the other end? You know, that might actually work....

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Trsut me it works! I have been running that sort of setup for years

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

dude

Yeah...what you need is a dock, any dock. Find your FW+USB combo cable and you're good to go. My friends used this cable because they had Windows laptops without powered USB ports.

I don't know if Apple sells them anymore, but I'm sure someone does.

8. neoserver macrumors 6502

Yes they do. At least on the online store they do. Just go and look at the "Cables & Docks" section of the apple store and you'll find a iPod cable with both a firewire plug and a usb plug. They also sell a firewire power brick under the "power" section.

Hope this helps.

9. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks folks, this is exactly what I will be doing :). Just waiting for those new iPods, so I can upgrade my entire setup at one go (charger, cable, headphones, iPod and the dock).