A dumb Windows 7 question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

As stupid as this may sound do I really need a retail version of seven to run in Bootcamp or can I buy a regular OEM off newegg? :D

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ok good that's what I thought LOL :)

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

Or you can save yourself even more money and get a $30 Student Upgrade version of Win7 Pro. I installed and activated one such copy in Boot Camp on my MP. And I'm not even a student, unless you count the study of Windows 7 installation workarounds :)

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I applied for this Australian edu status and never heard a word back.

6. akadmon macrumors 68010

I did this using my daughter's college credentials. The only sneaky thing I did was to get two licenses, even though you're technically only allowed one per student. I simply used an alternate form of her school email address (one that includes the name of the mail server) and the system allowed the second application to go through, apparently because it only checks the validity of the email address, not the person's name. Of course you can't just make up an edu address and make it work. It has to be real, because to complete the application process you need to respond to the automated message that they send you. Just to be clear, I had to pay $30 for the second key.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh I did the worse thing. You can buy a separate 32-bit and 64-bit copy, so with 2 email (alt.), that would net you at least 4 licenses for $30 each. If you are even incline for more mischief you could have bought a copy of 32-bit and 64-bit Home Premium netting you 8 licenses, but I would never use Home Premium, so I didn't go for that route.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Stop tempting me to use my alumni address guys! GEEZ! :rolleyes:

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Why don't you just steal a copy from your local computer store, that way you don't have to pay anything :rolleyes:

10. akadmon macrumors 68010

Exploiting a loophole in the system is not stealing.

I guess you're one of those people who buy stuff tax free from Amazon (or across the border in NH, NM or OR), only to pay the sales tax of their own free will when they file their state income tax returns. After all, the law says you must :rolleyes:

11. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Dont forget Delaware for us Jersey People. :D